Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Yamaha VX Deluxe engine light came on at 89.5 hours.
Took to dealer, who said its leaking oil fast and to just get a new engine or new PWC. Said diagnostic and then repair would not be worth it.
Given the low hours, would it be worth it to find a mechanic who might rebuild it? PWC overall is in good condition and was serviced each year.
Anyone know any good PWC mechanics in AL/MS/FL Gulf Coast area?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
The 4stroke motors will go 1000 hrs before needing a rebuild. If there taken care of. If it was run low on oil and damaged the motor then yes, new or rebuild is needed. If it's leaking oil it's either blown a seal or gasket. Now this may require pulling the motor to fix and that can get expensive.

As for worth it. If the ski is in good shape and you like it then yes, I would do it. Especially if you intend to keep it.

As for mechanic in your area. I don't know of any. Try asking around at some Marina's maybe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd remove the oil filter and check to see if that is where the oil was leaking from. pretty common problem if the filter isn't changed regular or you use automotive filters and the ski is run in slat water. or throw a quart of oil in it, wipe the filter off with a clean rag, wrap a new one around the filter and start the engine ( idle speed only) after ten seconds stop the engine and examine the rag, if it's full of oil, the dealer is trying to scam you.

we'd expect you to identify the crook in exchange for this advice.

yammie engines are pretty tough. they can often withstand a low oil event or two before major damage happens.

if the rag is oily replace the filter, pop three quarts of oil into the fill tank and fire her up. no engine warning?...problem SOLVED

of course if the exhaust is smoking like a mosquito fogger, you likely have a broken piston ring, but that's another story.

I'm sure you can find an independent shop in your area who will quote the repairs for less then an hour shop time. ( $75-$125)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts