Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question here on loss of speed with my 2015 VX1100e-p .... I’m 95% sure I’ve got a cavitation problem in the impeller housing so I took everything apart to replace the wear ring. It looks as though for this model I’ve got a stainless steel ring pressed into the housing instead of a plastic insert, so I’m looking for confirmation if I will need to just replace the entire housing or is there a way to replace only the steel ring. Looking on Yamaha site for that model, it does look like it’s sold all as one part (housing/ring). So I was hoping for someone on here with experience with this model to confirm what I’ve found before I order. Was sure hoping to just be able to replace the ring insert rather than the whole thing.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The factory wear ring is a stainless ring pressed into the aluminum housing.
The cheeper aftermarket have the plastic insert rings.
Have you measured the impeller to ring gap clearance? Your clearance should be around .014"/.018". Less than .014" is fine. If your nearing the .018" you could be getting cavitation from it. Other causes could be from air infiltration from an air leak where the intake grate and pump meet.
Most times unless the wear ring shows very bad wear the impeller caries most the wear. Replacing the impeller will usually close the clearance back to within specs. Without the need for a new ring.
I'm not a fan of the plastic rings. they wear fast and nead frequent replacement.
Impros carries a wide supply of impellers. They may also carry wear rings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, thank you for the information. I did not yet get an exact gap measurement but will check that. And thanks for the tip on impeller replacement vs housing. I had not considered that. I have only looked at Yamaha direct OEM parts site but will also check Impros.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I'm not sure where all you looked. If you decide to replace the wear ring. Look at these 2 sites as well. Babbittsonline & Partzilla there both factory parts suppliers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. That makes me feel better I’m on the right path. I’ll check out those suppliers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts