Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my waverunner in for the summer. On the first run it was surging a little, but smoothed out after riding it a little bit. The next day I went to take it out and it won't go over 10 MPH. There is no LMODE on this model. I checked the impeller and it was clear. Looking for other options to look at.

The engine starts and revs up and idles fine, but there is no power.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If I'm reading your post correctly. The RPM getting to normal running RPM but speed won't go above 10mph. Like a slipping clutch in a car? If so this is indicative of cavitation. Usually caused by excess clearance between the impeller and wear ring, air infiltration, something in the impeller. Sense you've checked the pump for foreign objects. And this came on over night I'm guessing, air. Riva racing does list a pump grate/shoe seal kit making it a possibility. There easily installed with a tube of 100% silicone adhesive/caulk. Once the intake grate is removed. Use a dab of caulk to glue each piece of the kit in place. Then caulk along the area of the shoe marked in green, in second pic. Caulk both sides along the mount flange and the back against the the transom And install.
Again this is just my guess based on info from post.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm reading your post correctly. The RPM getting to normal running RPM but speed won't go above 10mph. Like a slipping clutch in a car? If so this is indicative of cavitation. Usually caused by excess clearance between the impeller and wear ring, air infiltration, something in the impeller. Sense you've checked the pump for foreign objects. And this came on over night I'm guessing, air. Riva racing does list a pump grate/shoe seal kit making it a possibility. There easily installed with a tube of 100% silicone adhesive/caulk. Once the intake grate is removed. Use a dab of caulk to glue each piece of the kit in place. Then caulk along the area of the shoe marked in green, in second pic. Caulk both sides along the mount flange and the back against the the transom And install.
Again this is just my guess based on info from post.
Yes it came on after taking it out for the first time this year. The engine seems to run fine, just can't get any speed.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Deffinetly sounds like cavitation issue. As stated you found no impeller obstruction. It wouldn't wear that fast, so my guess is air. Probably coming from around the back of the intake grate area based on the parts schematic drawling above.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't know for sure. Although not shown on the schematic a lot of times the joint between shoe and transom are sealed from factory with a piece of foam as a seal. It's a poor gasket material. Dry rots and falls away.
I'm just speaking hypothetically here. This is just what I've seen/found. I have no way to tell for sure. I'm just make guesses based on your info given.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just put my waverunner in for the summer. On the first run it was surging a little, but smoothed out after riding it a little bit. The next day I went to take it out and it won't go over 10 MPH. There is no LMODE on this model. I checked the impeller and it was clear. Looking for other options to look at.

The engine starts and revs up and idles fine, but there is no power.

Thanks,
I’m not saying this is the solution to your issue, but I have found that after pulling out my winterized machine every engine rpm or misfire problem has been fixed by putting in new plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts