Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer I bought two new 2016 VX Limited Waverunners with the new TR-1 engine.

Last night I changed the oil in each of them as part of the 10 hour service. However, for whatever reason, on one of them, I used the top filler hole (with the black plug) to pour in the new oil. On the other one, I poured the oil directly into the reservoir that houses the screw-in dipstick.

I assumed that shouldn't make a difference since all the oil has to eventually end up in the same place anyway. However, I noticed something different between them after starting them up.

On the one that I poured the oil directly in the top oil fill, I can see oil being pumped through the black hose just adjacent to the oil fill hole. See attachment. On the one that I poured the new oil directly into the reservoir where the dipstick is, there was no oil stream from that tube. See other attachment.

Being a dry sump system, I assume there are multiple baffles/stages the oil would have to go through so perhaps I didn't leave it running long enough (about 10 seconds) for the oil to reach the top tube? But after I noticed that each one was working differently, I thought I should turn them off before going further.

I am not even sure which one is 'correct'. Perhaps the one that has oil flowing through it is wrong and that is supposed to be a pressure or vaccuum and it's not supposed to have oil.

I wouldn't have thought I would ever have a problem simply changing the oil in anything...:confused:

Thank you in advance for any responses.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Does the manual say which plug to use? That tube looks like it's designed to drain overflow down from the cam cover area back into the block, so maybe not too much can be expected to flow "up?" If you're reasonably sure that you put the right amount of oil back in, I would attach a hose to each one and warm them up for 5-6 minutes and watch carefully for noises, smells and alarms then check your oil level. I don't think 10 seconds will tell you much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the service manual.

You can get all the oil out of the engine. First you empty the oil from the reservoir, then you remove the hose out of the top of the engine that goes down to the oil pan and pump the oil out of there also.

When you refill, you should put half in the reservoir and half in the top of the engine. I just did both of TR-1's recently and was able to get 3.6qt's out of each...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it possible to show me which hose to remove? Would this be the oil extraction port? I need to do an oil change. Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So just to make sure I am on the same page. I would need to suck the oil out of the reservoir housing the dipstick. Then remove the hose and suck the remaining oil out of there as per the picture attached by cschlik. Once that is done. I can remove and change the filter. And then the oil gets filled up down at the yellow cap.

Would really like to do this myself and save a couple hundred bucks that can be used on fuel and a nice dinner at the lake, and want to get it out for the first ride of the season next weekend.

Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I understand you split the new oil.. I basically put the same amount of fill oil back into the reservoir that I removed it from.. i will check the level when I can put it in the water and idle it for 5 or so minutes..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I plan to do my own as well... Just bought a 2016 VX-Limited... Was quoted $300 plus parts to do the 10 hour service. Seems way too high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
did first change on 2016 Waverunner VX with TR-1 3 cyl engine. With topsider manual extractor (blue hand pump can worked flawlwessly), was only able to get our a hair over 2 litres from 3 locations: 1) the tube nearest the filter (as described above), 2) the dipstick hole and 3) the oil fill hole. I did all three. warmed it up for ten minurtes prior to extraction. Ski was on a jet dock so fore-end slightly elevated but figured since draining from aft, it would be fine. Owners manual says change just the oil at the 10 hour mark (not the filter), so that's all I did. Oil was black compared to the new Yamalube I put in. I put in what I took out to the ounce so not too worried, but a little concerned that all I got was 2 litres when manual states I should have removed 3.2 litres:

Engine oil quantity with oil filter replacement:
3.4 L (3.59 US qt, 2.99 Imp.qt)
Engine oil quantity without oil filter replacement:
3.2 L (3.38 US qt, 2.82 Imp.qt)
Engine oil total quantity:
3.7 L (3.91 US qt, 3.26 Imp.qt)

Any thoughts or comments.

Nkaizer

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had my 2016 VX out yesterday and found that I was cavitating and going nowhere for about 5 minutes. found a shore and got under and ran my hand underneath to clean out underside. was wondering if anyone had a cavitation problem with the TR-1 waverunner. second time for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In the hudson river yesterday and aobut 300 jet skis decended upon us. Police boats helicopters, like the wild bunch with Brando. bunch of cool guys latin jet skiers. helped me out when I had a breakdown.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "cschlik, publicación: 7033601, miembro: 93674"]
Tengo el manual de servicio.

Puede sacar todo el aceite del motor. Primero se vacía el aceite del depósito, luego se quita la manguera de la parte superior del motor que baja al cárter de aceite y también se bombea el aceite.

Cuando rellene, debe colocar la mitad en el depósito y la otra mitad en la parte superior del motor. Acabo de hacer los dos TR-1 recientemente y pude obtener 3.6qt de cada ...
[/ CITAR]
[QUOTE = "cschlik, publicación: 7033601, miembro: 93674"]
Tengo el manual de servicio.

Puede sacar todo el aceite del motor. Primero se vacía el aceite del depósito, luego se quita la manguera de la parte superior del motor que baja al cárter de aceite y también se bombea el aceite.

Cuando rellene, debe colocar la mitad en el depósito y la otra mitad en la parte superior del motor. Acabo de hacer los dos TR-1 recientemente y pude obtener 3.6qt de cada ...
[/CITAR]
Hola me podrías enviar información sobre el tiempo de la cadena de tiempo de el motor tr1 por favor, e buscado por todo Internet y no lo encuenteo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts