Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have two Yamaha Waverunner EX. One of them is now giving me an Engine Alarm and Oil Alarm when I go over about 4500 RPM. I am then limited to 3000 RPM. If I turn it off and restart after the display goes off I get the alarms again. If I turn it off again and wait for the display to go blank before starting again, it will run without alarming, but only until I get to roughly 4500 RPM. I was able to retrieve roughly 3.4 litres of oil from each and replaced with the same amount of new oil as well as replaced the filter. I've had these WR for about three months and have run them at least 12 times. This was the first time after the oil change. When I check the oil in these EX, the oil is always at the top of the dipstick, which seems odd. I mean at the very top, just mm from the hole opening. One runs fine, the other exhibits this problem.

Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share!

Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where to start :) If the oil level is to high it can give an alarm as the Engine requires an air space for parts to move about in, a friend of mine back in 1970 bought a HD Holden and his first oil change filled the engine until he could see it through the fill hole, needless to say he blew all his seals.
To much oil can cause problems as well.
This is why they supply a Dipstick so that the person checking the levels can see if it's correct, if it shows far above the high level then remove oil until you reach the correct level, it won't hurt the Engine if it has the correct amount of oil.
If you look at the manual it will tell you how much oil should be in the engine with a filter change.
How much you remove does not mean that is how much you need to replace as the previous owner could have over filled as well ?
The oil light will come on if there is either not enough oil or insufficient oil pressure , low oil will cause low pressure as the pump can't scavenge enough to push through the engine.
Engine alarm could be from to much oil or getting hot and you may have an oil blockage not allowing sufficient pressure to lubricate correctly and so heats up, it may not be a full blockage just some crap you accidentally dropped into the oil when changing, small piece of rubber or plastic or who knows what could have been in your oil syphon when you placed it into the syphoning port.
maybe something was inside the oil filter that came lose or maybe a faulty oil filter ?
Replace the Oil filter and make sure the oil level is correct then try again ? It's the quickest and cheapest option as well as the easiest, otherwise take it to a Mechanic before you blow up the engine as that is going to be fairly costly ;)
In the end doing your own maintenance never works out cheaper, no warranty on self serve, oh just curious, you did replace the Oil filter with the correct one and not a cheap replacement and of course you used the correct oil specified and not a cheap alternative.
I have seen some silly things people have done to save money over the years and towed in many self maintained Skis back to shore, I get mine serviced every time it's due and have never had one day out where it didn't start first kick or do what it was supposed to for the whole day or week end.
It's the main reason I get my SHO serviced at the Dealer as for one I know everything is done correctly and I have a warranty if anything goes wrong, of course you need to have a Dealer or Agent that has a good rating, don't use Dodgy Bros Ski repairs ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts