Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have (2) 2018 Yamaha VX Cruisers (VX1050A) that I just took out of storage. These units went into storage without and issues but now one of them has an error code of 157. On land, the ski does not go into reverse (the gate does not come down).

I looked through many forums / search and it appears that code 157 could be one of the following.
  • Wiring issue
  • Gate motor failure (note sure exactly what this is called)
I checked the fuses and none are bad.

Any suggestions on what to do? Or do I just bring it in for service?

Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cannot believe that this did not surface earlier over the 2 years that I own the jet ski, but there was a lose cable that I came across.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you identify that for me? I’d like to check mine out.
Sure thing.

I located my loose connection by tracing the wiring from the rear of the ski (from the gate motor) towards the front. It goes underneath the curve of the ski and becomes visible again near the rear / middle of the engine. The cable then ends up near the front of the engine and starts to head down underneath the front corner of the engine. When it starts to go down, it connects to a bundle of wires with 2 connectors. 1 of these connectors was loose and popped out when I was tracing the wire out. Snapped that wire back in and the check engine code went away.

I also identified the connector that comes from the left (reverse throttle). I would check that too. It is located towards the front of the engine on the right side of the ski.

Hopefully I'm going to get out on the skis with the family this weekend. I can take a couple of pictures then and post them here.

Let me know if I can provide and further information.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sure thing.

I located my loose connection by tracing the wiring from the rear of the ski (from the gate motor) towards the front. It goes underneath the curve of the ski and becomes visible again near the rear / middle of the engine. The cable then ends up near the front of the engine and starts to head down underneath the front corner of the engine. When it starts to go down, it connects to a bundle of wires with 2 connectors. 1 of these connectors was loose and popped out when I was tracing the wire out. Snapped that wire back in and the check engine code went away.

I also identified the connector that comes from the left (reverse throttle). I would check that too. It is located towards the front of the engine on the right side of the ski.

Hopefully I'm going to get out on the skis with the family this weekend. I can take a couple of pictures then and post them here.

I’ll start there. Thanks for the explanation.
I am thinking of getting my skis out too

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure thing.

I’ll start there. Thanks for the explanation.
I am thinking of getting my skis out too
Here's the best that I can do to show which connector was loose.
2020-03-14 16_11_12-IMG_20200314_104159456.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts