Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a week ago we took out jet skis out in the water and the front lid of one of them came off. I have read different forums and facebook groups that made me realize this is a common malfunction on the 2020 Kawasaki STX 160LX, I have to say I am very disappointed at how easily that hood came off, I had people ask if we were jumping wakes or going too fast, and my answer is we were on a no wake zone, had just unloaded it from the trailer and hit a small wake from one of the boats near by.
After watching videos from other people, I am just glad that hood did not hit anyone's face.
We are currently waiting for a new one since it seems like they are on backorder, they wanted us to just buy a new one like this was our fault and i was like, ahhhhh no, I would have no problem paying for a damage we made, now there's no way i am willing to pay for a damage that apparently happens daily with these jet skis. Our dealer submitted pictures to kawasaki, which I silt did not get a answer from. I asked if we could epoxy it back on together so we could use the jet ski wait until we get an answer from kawasaki, it has been about 2 weeks now and my ski is sitting outside while our summer goes by.

Has anyone here experienced the same? if so, how did you handle it?
Looking forward to having this issued fixed while at the same time, anxious that this will happen to our other ski.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks brand new. Talk to the dealer. See if it's covered under warranty ...
Oh it is, we just bought it.
I brought it back, seems like they are working with kawasaki to get it replaced. They wanted me to just buy it and I was like ahhhhh no.
it seems like this happens a lot based on the forums and facebook groups i have been reading.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh it is, we just bought it.
I brought it back, seems like they are working with kawasaki to get it replaced. They wanted me to just buy it and I was like ahhhhh no.
it seems like this happens a lot based on the forums and facebook groups i have been reading.
ASk dealer about recalls , maybe even call kawasaki corp. Have them complete recalls at same time. Otherwise they won't do it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
About a week ago we took out jet skis out in the water and the front lid of one of them came off. I have read different forums and facebook groups that made me realize this is a common malfunction on the 2020 Kawasaki STX 160LX, I have to say I am very disappointed at how easily that hood came off, I had people ask if we were jumping wakes or going too fast, and my answer is we were on a no wake zone, had just unloaded it from the trailer and hit a small wake from one of the boats near by.
After watching videos from other people, I am just glad that hood did not hit anyone's face.
We are currently waiting for a new one since it seems like they are on backorder, they wanted us to just buy a new one like this was our fault and i was like, ahhhhh no, I would have no problem paying for a damage we made, now there's no way i am willing to pay for a damage that apparently happens daily with these jet skis. Our dealer submitted pictures to kawasaki, which I silt did not get a answer from. I asked if we could epoxy it back on together so we could use the jet ski wait until we get an answer from kawasaki, it has been about 2 weeks now and my ski is sitting outside while our summer goes by.

Looking forward to having this issued fixed while at the same time, anxious that this will happen to our other ski.

View attachment 18978

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank God I’m not the only One! Our story is EXACTLY the same as yours. No Wake Zone.......wake from a larger boat tore the front hood right off! The hood sunk to the bottom and disappeared! Parts were like $450 and ALL on backorder! Dealer didn’t believe that it broke off without impact. Never offered to warranty it. Please update me on any contacts you may find at Kawasaki . Thanks. Charles Brown

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, I have had this ski for almost 3 weeks and this is horrifying news. We also bought a 2020 UltraLX at the same time and I recall when we were going over the skis at the dealership that I remarked the difference in the way the front lid clicked shut on the Ultra compared to the 160LX, but didn’t pay it much mind after. Seeing this issue, I wonder if the dealerships can install similar, safer latches on the 160Lx’s?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, this is crazy. I just bought 2, STX160 and STX160LX. Less than 5 hours on them. I guess I should figure a way to anchor the lids on both with some 100lb test fishing line just in case. Keep us posted 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
UPDATE: after reading this thread I immediately called Kawasaki customer service. The representative was really understanding and collected all information about what had happened. She issued me a warranty claim number. She then directed me to return to my dealer where I ordered the parts from for photos of the PWC and to have the dealer use the warranty claim number that Kawasaki gave me and have the dealer submit the claim. I received a call the next morning with the great news that Kawasaki is covering ALL parts and labor regarding this hood issue. The dealer technician also confirmed that his Kawasaki representative said that Kawasaki has had numerous complaints and similar stories of these hoods breaking off. They are aware that they have a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great update, glad to read they’re taking care of everything for you. Did they mention any changes to the latch to secure it better in the future?

·
Registered
1 Posts
See you saying happened to my daughter 18 years old was riding over some gentle waves into the lid fell off and hit her in the head. It started to sink my other daughter jumped off the back and grabbed it. Now we are without our Jetske for the rest of the summer is my guess because the part is on back order. I will be calling Kawasaki to find out how do they remedy the situation because it’s dangerous! Luckily my daughter just got a slight headache for the day and then was fine but it’s going at TopSpeed I can imagine it could be deadly..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yikes, sorry this happened to your daughter. I dropped my skis off for their first 25hr service at the dealer this am and asked about this issue with the Service Dept. I was told they’ve had 3 customers lose the lids, and that Kawasaki will replace them but there hasn’t been any modifications made to the latch that they were aware of yet, but that they’d call Kawasaki and inquire.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Because of this post I have attached a 100lb test monofilament to a bolt on the lid and the ski on both the STX160 and STX160LX. I will add another to the other side for more security. Someone on GREENHULK suggested injecting foam in the lid to keep it afloat.
I hope Kawasaki comes out with a recall soon as it will cost them more in the long run replacing lids.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love the idea and initiative.. the inner lid is what the Hatch cover is mounted to. It’s the inner lid that needs to be made of a different material or redesigned. Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
5 Posts

View attachment 18978
I've had the same issue TWICE.
The first time it happened was on day 2 or less than 4 hours on the machine. I went over a small wake, the nose dove a little and the pressure against the lid forced it off. I made it to shore but the waves were pretty strong and the JetSki took on too much water and submarined itself. $400 dollars later it was on my trailer and on the way to the dealer. Fortunately they were very accomodating and warrantied the whole repair.
This past weekend the same exact scenario occurred. The lid came up flying over my head inches from my face. I was able to recover the lid but the decision to dive in for it didn't come easy. I was worried that while I was in the water chasing the lid the waves would fill the cavity and the JetSki would sink to the bottom. This time I was at least 100 yards from shore when it happened and once I had the lid in my hands I gunned it to the boat launch.
I believe it's a design flaw, there is about a 1" space between the top of the bow and the lid and any time water is going over the bow it is forcing the lid up. The break happens on the interior layer of the lid and reinforcing it would put all the pressure on the bracket that holds it.
I don't believe it can be remedied just by reinforcing. In fact today I dropped it off at the dealer and informed him that I will not be taking it back. Between them and Kawasaki I expect every penny reimbursed plus the cost of the tow. They assured me that Kawasaki is on the case that I will be getting some resolution in the near future. I don't hold out too much hope but it's worth a try.

For the record I also own a 2020 Yamaha Cruiser HO Touring with more hours and put through a lot more abuse without any issues.

PS. I believe Kawasaki know that they bungled it up, so much so that STX160 series is not listed for 2021. WATERCRAFT

·
Registered
18 Posts
Twice? Ooph. What you described is my worst case scenario as I drive primarily in a bay where it’s rarely flat, so waves and chop are typically encountered every ride. If you follow this topic on another forum, a user posted that Kawasaki Europe addressed this issue:
Whether this applies to NA I don’t know, I’ll be inquiring with my dealer this week about it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts