Personal Water Craft Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 19119
Because of this post I have attached a 100lb test monofilament to a bolt on the lid and the ski on both the STX160 and STX160LX. I will add another to the other side for more security. Someone on GREENHULK suggested injecting foam in the lid to keep it afloat.
I hope Kawasaki comes out with a recall soon as it will cost them more in the long run replacing lids.
Bad idea in my opinion!
The failure happens at the bracket. The lines that you attached will not stop it from breaking off, just keep it tethered to the Jetski. I am speaking from experience with this. I believe that the reason it comes flying off is the lip on the front of the lip which is about an inch higher than the body and creates a surface to catch water. No plastic part can handle the pressure generated by the wave and it snaps off. The way you have it set up I'm worried that once it breaks off the lines will redirect it straight into your face.
Anyway, mine was taken back to the dealer after the second incident and yesterday I received a cheque for the full amount of the purchase. Next year I'll be getting another Yamaha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had the same issue TWICE.
The first time it happened was on day 2 or less than 4 hours on the machine. I went over a small wake, the nose dove a little and the pressure against the lid forced it off. I made it to shore but the waves were pretty strong and the JetSki took on too much water and submarined itself. $400 dollars later it was on my trailer and on the way to the dealer. Fortunately they were very accomodating and warrantied the whole repair.
This past weekend the same exact scenario occurred. The lid came up flying over my head inches from my face. I was able to recover the lid but the decision to dive in for it didn't come easy. I was worried that while I was in the water chasing the lid the waves would fill the cavity and the JetSki would sink to the bottom. This time I was at least 100 yards from shore when it happened and once I had the lid in my hands I gunned it to the boat launch.
I believe it's a design flaw, there is about a 1" space between the top of the bow and the lid and any time water is going over the bow it is forcing the lid up. The break happens on the interior layer of the lid and reinforcing it would put all the pressure on the bracket that holds it.
I don't believe it can be remedied just by reinforcing. In fact today I dropped it off at the dealer and informed him that I will not be taking it back. Between them and Kawasaki I expect every penny reimbursed plus the cost of the tow. They assured me that Kawasaki is on the case that I will be getting some resolution in the near future. I don't hold out too much hope but it's worth a try.

For the record I also own a 2020 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO with more hours and put through a lot more abuse without any issues.

PS. I believe Kawasaki know that they bungled it up, so much so that STX160 series is not listed for 2021. WATERCRAFT
UPDATE

Got a full refund from my dealer. The dealer raised the issue with Kawasaki Canada and they bought it out. Got the cheque for the full amount of purchase price, including sales tax.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Airborne, thanks for the update. Glad to hear you’ve been reimbursed completely. I still see the 2021 STX lineup on the website here, is there a statement anywhere about it being on hold/eliminated?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Airborne, glad you got a full refund for your ski. I didn’t think my fix was the best but 1. The lid ripping off is a known problem and 2. The lid is not in stock at the dealer. Don’t want lid to rip off and sink rendering the ski useless. The line is short enough that if the lid did rip off, it wouldn’t get to me..... Hopefully. In any case, season is over here, going to winterize and hope the dealer/Kawasaki issues a fix before next season.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My dealer was contacted by Kawasaki today, they’re rolling out a fix to the dealers with parts to follow. My dealer doesn’t know when to expect parts yet. Kawi sent them a PDF with detailed parts install instructions, looks like they’re swapping some plastic parts for metal as well as other changes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok, glad to hear there is some progress for the recall. Hope to squeeze in 1 last run this weekend, will see if the weather holds.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts