Personal Water Craft Forum banner

2020 Kawasaki STX 160LX front lid ripped off

21K views 110 replies 17 participants last post by  tikmou 
#1 Ā·
About a week ago we took out jet skis out in the water and the front lid of one of them came off. I have read different forums and facebook groups that made me realize this is a common malfunction on the 2020 Kawasaki STX 160LX, I have to say I am very disappointed at how easily that hood came off, I had people ask if we were jumping wakes or going too fast, and my answer is we were on a no wake zone, had just unloaded it from the trailer and hit a small wake from one of the boats near by.
After watching videos from other people, I am just glad that hood did not hit anyone's face.
We are currently waiting for a new one since it seems like they are on backorder, they wanted us to just buy a new one like this was our fault and i was like, ahhhhh no, I would have no problem paying for a damage we made, now there's no way i am willing to pay for a damage that apparently happens daily with these jet skis. Our dealer submitted pictures to kawasaki, which I silt did not get a answer from. I asked if we could epoxy it back on together so we could use the jet ski wait until we get an answer from kawasaki, it has been about 2 weeks now and my ski is sitting outside while our summer goes by.

Has anyone here experienced the same? if so, how did you handle it?
Looking forward to having this issued fixed while at the same time, anxious that this will happen to our other ski.

See less See more
#65 Ā·
Spoke to Kawasaki today. Even gave me the recall part number 99999-0786 and they have over 1000 in stock at the warehouse. They checked the vin numbers and confirmed the dealer. NO recall order was placed by the dealer for both my Jetski as of yet. SMH! Will call them tomorrow and ask what is going on.

#67 Ā· (Edited)
Canā€™t give dealer an earful yet..... this is the dealer that talked me through what to do when I sank my ski and brought it back alive. So I feel they are a good dealer. On the other hand, Iā€™ve been very patient with them since early Feb trying to fix this recall. No, Kawi didnā€™t facilitate the recall. I reached out to them trying to get it done before the Spring rush.

#71 Ā·
I bought the skis from Muller Powersport in Phillipsburg as they were the only dealer that had 2 skis in stock pretty much on the East Coast in July AND didnā€™t charge sticker. Iā€™m on Long Island, NY so I decided to use a dealer thatā€™s 20 min from me to try and get the recall fix.

I did call Muller and they were more than willing to fix the recall, itā€™s just a 4-5 hour R/T to drop off and pick up another day.

Any update on your lid and radio fix?

#72 Ā·
Yeah that makes sense. I bought my skis 1st week of July too and I had 5 to choose from, none below sticker lol, you got a deal! I called this week to have my dealer begin the warranty speaker & lid work so I can pick it up in ~3weeks. Hoping thatā€™s enough lead time for them to get everything in order.

#74 Ā·
Def have the itch too since Iā€™m scheduled to pick my skis up Tuesday. I called today to see if theyā€™re ready...theyā€™re not. Dealer said theyā€™re waiting on a part for the hood fix on the 160LX due in mid next week, this is after 8 months of ensuring everything was there ready to go. bangs head

#77 Ā· (Edited)
Let us know how you make out.
Picked my STX 160LX up today from the dealer and am happy to report everything is in working order. New radio was installed and works, plus it resets the warranty for another year. New hood and underside plate were installed and fitted. The plate is similar shape to that silver piece on the nose and has an inch or so lip on it (all black). I drove it home right off the lot which is 21nautical miles, had her out for 75 minutes with no issues šŸ‘

#78 Ā·
New hood and underside plate were installed and fitted. The plate is similar shape to that silver piece on the nose and has an inch or so lip on it (all black).
Funny you mentioned that because the 160LX shield was within ā€œspecā€. Dealer said suppose to be 3mm. The 160 was 1/2ā€, thatā€™s why the dealer called Kawasaki for another part/shield.
You mentioned yours is a 1ā€ lip.

#89 Ā·
Just bought a brand new 2021 160 and 2020 160x. The dealer said there is a recall repair, but it would be fine to use for the weekend. Well, as you can already tell because I am posing here, a little turn into a wake and the hood blew off of it hitting my nephew and my daughter in the head. Donā€™t know what the dealer was thinking sending us out on it. He said the parts will be here this week. Does anyone know if that includes the hood? Of course mine sunk to the bottom of the lake.

#91 Ā·
Just got a 2021 stx 160 lx. 3rd time out on the water the front lid cover popped off. Have not heard back from kawasaki yet, can't get hold of them. I thought this issue was supposedly fixed in the 2021 model. Dealer thought it would take 5-10 business days to repair it. I'm still on hold. Does anyone know if this problem is likely to persist with the 2021 model? How good is kawasaki at getting you back on the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.