Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a brand new 2021 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO and after following the break in procedures, it seems like there’s a governor that’s limiting the machine of its full power. The fastest speed I’ve been was 48mph at 6700RPM and it won’t go any faster. I have checked the drive control numerous times to make sure that it’s off and it doesn’t change anything. I do live in Colorado and was told that there would be a power loss because of the altitude, but should I lose power this much? Just as an comparison, I also have a Sea Doo GTI SE 170 and that out performs the wave runner. With the GTI SE 170, I can do 55mph at 8000rpm. I’ve read a similar forum that the VX Cruiser HO was having the same issue but I want to see if there are people with the same wave runner as mine that could relate or can tell me what speed and rpm they’re achieving. Thanks and happy holidays.

·
Administrator
47 Posts
What are you riding in Colorado? (Where) Yes, that is going to be about it. 67-68 depending. I chipped mine (8500) and got a new impeller. Huge difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you riding in Colorado? (Where) Yes, that is going to be about it. 67-68 depending. I chipped mine (8500) and got a new impeller. Huge difference.
I ride in the metro area, so Cherry Creek, Chatfield and sometimes I’ll go up north to Jackson and Horsetooth. My goal was to get the most powerful waverunner without the supercharger and it’s disappointing that a 180HP waverunner performs worse than a 170 HP Sea Doo. I want to avoid mods but if it’s cheaper than buying a unit with a supercharger, I may consider it. Where did you go to get yours up to speed? And what impeller do you have?

·
Administrator
47 Posts
OK... So....Mods won't do anything for the engine. I did a DIY straight exhaust. It only shows a difference at sea level. I have 2, one without. It's drony compared. The chip changes throttle responce and Rev limit to 8500. Then you need to depitch the impeller to make up for elevation and more RPMs. I got a Maptuner X and Solas impeller from Riva. I got a intake too... Not faster, but stays hooked up a little better. They are 2017.

So... I too was disappointed. Researched, rode an older VX. Quite disappointed... Impeller makes all the difference in the world. I got the impeller, and had it pitched from Impros. I wanted it right for Colorado... Missed a little... It cavitates a tad here, but in the Gulf... Daaammm. Here, it's a blast. Yes, you still lose power with altitude.... I'm 500-6 rpm off 8500 here, I'm at 8400 at Galveston.... I got 57 mph by GPS. I thought about tweaking it a bit more... But maybe not. It's a lot of fun at sea level. It's right in the middle at Mc Conaughy. It's plenty fast enough... I too debated SC... But I don't regret not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts