Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 yamaha waverunner xlt1200. recently replaced starter and solenoid. ran great a time or two, now, sometimes wont stop starting, or sparks and tries to turn over when hooking up battery cable. so i just replaced another solenoid today (the 4th solenoid in 4 weeks) one crank and had plenty of power for 1 second , now just a buzz coming from brand new solenoid. IT WAS BRAND NEW YAMAHA REPLACEMENT PART. Battery is new. Ground appears to be solid and well grounded. no corrosion on connections, start and stop switches...possible culprits? jumped terminals on solenoid with screwdriver and it slightly turns over. Curious how it can run great a week ago until i replaced outer exhaust joint, no electrical touched, and today 2 more solenoids wont start the motor. im going through solenoids like candy!! any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The impeller isnt grabing on the liner putting more load through the starter and solenoid. Make sure the cables are all good. Cant see it being the start stop switch. Once you have another solenoid in, check the cranking volts. if its dropping below around 9, the starter is drawing too much and would be faulty. And will the engine actually start or does it have issues too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yamaha 1200xlt wont start....AGAIN after 2 months

UPDATE:

Ended up getting an entire new/used electrical system form the battery all the way to start switch, starter was brand new four months ago (computer, start/stop switch, ignition coils, plug wires, yamaha steel spark plugs,)[EVERYTHING ELECTRICAL]

It ran great for 2 months on ocean, went to start up last night,worked fine at first, ran for 15 sec. dry then I shut it off. waited...5 mins later tried to start again....buzzing noise only. Sounded like it did in previous post before swapping in new electrical system. Now..nothing but very faint humming noise coming from computer box area. Battery is 1 yr old and reads constistently 12.7 when trying to start.

Going to check impeller/liner now. All connections clean, tight, and ground is solid.

9 out of 10 times its solenoids and i dont want to get back into the solenoid changing lifestyle like before changing them every week!!

What other possibilites could be causing solenoids to break down consistently??????!!!!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi bud, i have the same problem and got the same answers from everybody. Change the starter solenoid. For starters I am a fair electronics technician and dont believe in just throwing parts at an electrical problem. Before putting in a new solenoid i bench tested my original. You apply 12 volts to 2 specific wires noted in the manual and test for continuity across the others noted in the manual. Continuity across a volt/ohm meter set in the ohm position is 0 ohms closed, infinity open. My solenoid tested good but everyone here convinced me to replace it. So against my better judgment i did. Same problem, so now I have a spare solenoid (you may have several if you care to test them. prob safe to sell them on ebay).You have a positive short to ground. What you have to do is connect the ohm meter to ground and test every circuit in the cdi until you find the short. Since you replaced the cdi the short is probably not in the cdi but by doing this will point to where the short is.
I have not had the time to troubleshoot mine because i am studying for a test at my place of employment so could you please post what you discovered?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you find a solution to the problem below? having same problem with my Yamaha suv

Di you find a solution to the problem? I have the same issue.. solenoide going bad...please HELP!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My guess is the positive line going to the starter from the solenoid is wore through at a spot where it touches the motor and when you go to start it, it over heats the line causing the solenoid to over heat and fail but that’s just a guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts