Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more than 1 question here. I have a 1981 (later production) 440 with bad driveshaft bearings. First problem is I can't get the shaft out because I don't have an impellar wrench to remove the prop. This is an older style prop with 3 holes. Anyone know where I can find this old style wrench?
Next question, are the bearings easy to replace? Will the old bearings be hard to remove, or will they just fall out? Do new ones have to be pressed in, or will they just drop in? Am I better off just buying a good used entire unit? If so, are they all the same? The props and pumps obviously aren't.
Lastly, I'm planning on replacing the prop while I have the thing apart anyway. The pump I'm using came off of a 1983 440, so it at least has a good wear ring. The props I see on Ebay don't have the 3 holes on the back like mine does. Will these props work with this pump & driveshaft? If so, what type tool do I need? Or, should I just go with a newer pump? one of the later model pumps that pull apart like on the later 550's. If so, will this require a different driveshaft than what I have?

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
u need a 440 threaded prop
u might be able to get off the prop by pulling the motor out, u have to do this anyways to replace the driveshaft bearings
u pull the motor, slide driveshaft foward then use heat and a wrench and see if that works

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Already pulled the motor. Can't find this type of impellar wrench. And, don't really want to put another impellar of this type back on this thing. They are apparently not as available as the other props out there (ebay)
If I ever get the prop off, I'll probably just find a later model shaft, 550 pump, and new prop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts