Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a 2004 Yamaha XLT 1200 off a really good friend who has owned it since new. However, I test road the machine the other day and the top speed is only 50 mph, which my father own's a 2003 XLT 1200 and it does around 64 mph so I know what the machine should be capable of. When I questioned my friend he explained that is as fast as it ever went since new, he even had a dealer check it a week after he bought it and they couldn't find anything wrong. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem from the factory that would be causing such a speed difference, almost 15 mph?? I have already done the simple changes, spark plugs, check fuel filter's and followed the fuel hoses and don't see anything wrong. Could it be something with the impeller, which looks fine no chips, or the catalytic converter? Any info or suggestions are appreciated...thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I wonder if the dealer checked the compression on all cylinders? I'd also look at the pump housing all around the impeller for space..........it should be very tight. Any gaps can result in power loss. The catalytic converter on those skis can get clogged over time (especially if your running non-Yamaha oil in it) with loss in power...........pull off the cat. and try it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found the problem, when assembled the dealer never hooked up the electrical connection for the servo that controls the power valves, therefore the power valves never opened and wouldn't allow the air flow necessary to reach top speed. So hooked up the servo and had a different dealer clean the power valves and test and the waverunner is running great! Thanks for the reply Ernest T...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts