Personal Water Craft Forum banner

650SX issues

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  no fear here 
I will assume that you had it hooked up to a garden hose through a flush kit.

These units have a wet exhaust. The only time you should have the water turned on is once the motor is running. If it's not then the water in the exhaust will flow into the motor through the exhaust ports. I think this is your problem. Not a head gasket.

The first thing you need to do is pull the black knob located on the exhaust manifold. This has a cable attached to it and will actuate the crankcase drain. Turn the motor over with it open, spark plugs out, this will get the water out of the bottom end.

Remove the air cleaner and pour some 2-stroke oil into the carb and turn the motor over again, Crankcase drain still open.

Now some gasoline to dilute the oil, drain open.

Things should be ok. Close the crankcase drain. Turn the motor over. Open the crankcase drain. Close again. Install pugs and try to start.

Don't run the motor for more than 30 seconds. Always start the motor before turning on the water , and don't crank the hose on, just a trickle. Always turn the hose off before stopping the motor.

Hope this helps.

Since you have already pulled the motor you might as well go into the bottom end as well. Provided that the crank was in good shape when it was last run it should still be good.

The problem that you are having to remove the cylinders is probably corrosion around the stud. Soak it with wd-40 and let it sit for a day. Try a little heat from a small plumbers torch. Work it slowly and it will come off.

The only thing I would do to the bottom end is to replace the crankshaft seals. The biggest problem with these motors is when they sit the seals dry out. They leak air and then create a lean situation. The bottom end bearing then goes and scatters the topend as well. I can send you pictures of this and it's not cheap to repair. For the cost of the seals it's well worth the investment.

On ebay you can get a full gasket set for $40 plus the seals for $35.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.