Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 89 650SX a couple years ago and had no clue what I was doing but I was trying to start it with a hose and basically filled the engine with water. Did not know what I was doing so I just put it back in my garage and here I am now with a locked up engine. Could I have the engine rebuilt at a machine shop? If not I will be needing a new engine and where is the best place to buy that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought a 89 650SX a couple years ago and had no clue what I was doing but I was trying to start it with a hose and basically filled the engine with water. Did not know what I was doing so I just put it back in my garage and here I am now with a locked up engine. Could I have the engine rebuilt at a machine shop? If not I will be needing a new engine and where is the best place to buy that? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Of course you can have the Engine rebuilt by an expert, it's the only way I would recommend for you as rebuilding an Engine is way harder than just starting one :).
I would check the cost to rebuild compared to the cost of just buying another Ski already working and how much you can sell your first attempt for.
Old Skis don't increase in value as parts don't become easier to get, I sold my Two Pole Skis as trying to find parts became a pain in the butt and a lengthy process as I had to get the parts from America, if they were available at all.
Just because something is Cheap to buy doesn't mean it will be cheap to maintain as Two stroke mechanics are a rare breed these days, getting the Carbies to run well is also a pain if you don't know what you are doing.
You also need to ask how to flush your engine after it's been used in Salt water as there is a process you must do after every day out to keep your Ski in good condition.
Two Strokes are the easiest Engine to work on and it's worth learning how to as they need to be rebuilt a lot more often than a Four Stroke does, normally just the rings and a couple gaskets.
If the parts are available they shouldn't be expensive unless they no longer manufacture the parts and they are parts some one has taken time to collect from Dealers sales basket, where they put the odd parts left on the shelves for years.
Check the cost of a rebuilt Engine online and find out if you have a friend or relative that has a little mechanical knowledge that can help you ?
Well my Two cents, good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts