Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 650sx that was running great until this afternoon. I ran over a reed and it sucked it up and it shut off right then. So i got off pulled the reed out and it ran fine for a second. Then after that it would run fine then bog down and die. It wouldn't start for a while then it turnover a few times a then barely start going then it start going pretty fast almost top speed for probably 3 or 4 seconds then die, and i did that the whole way home. What i was thinking is that there is a clog in the fuel line and when you let it sit for a minute it would slowly drip and fill up the carburetor bowl and then run on that and die once it was out.

Anyone else think this could be the problem, or something different? Is there any relation to the problem now and the reed that got caught in the impeller?

If there is a clog in the fuel line should i just take out the lines a blow them out and thats it?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I read your post a couple of days ago and have pondered over the problem that you are experiencing.:confused:

In my opinion they are more than likley unrelated:dunno:, but I could be wrong. Let's start with the basics.

First question for you is... Have you made sure that all debri has been cleared from the pump housing. Just simply pulling what is sticking out won't do. Ensure that the entire pump assembly has been cleaned out.

Second is, was there water comming out of the pisser after you ran over the reed. If you got some debri into the cooling line then that would slow or stop the cooling water to the engine possibly causing an overheat.

There is no float bowl on these marine carbs so your sitting and refilling theory is out the window.

These are the next basic questions that I have asked myself if I was there looking at your ski.

Is there enough fuel in the tank, are you in the on, or reserve position on the fuel selector. Have you been maintaining the 2-stroke oil level in the oil tank.

Let me know the results of these questions and then we will work from there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes got all the debris out and everything looks good down there, water would come out of the pisser when riding, it'd take a second or two of smoke coming from the pisser and then water would come out. Fuel level is fine, it was on reserve, but put it on the on position after it broke down and it did make it run better when it was in the on position, but still died. Oil looked ok when i took it out, but it could be low, i'll check tommorow how it looks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK this is on topic I am looking at buying a kawasaki 650sx, this will be my first jet ski that i have bought. are there things to look for when buying this particular ski? other than cracked hull? What is a fair market price for 1987 Kawasaki 650sx in good condition with no mods?

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2 cents

a compression check can be a good indicator of an engine's overall health and age. Also check the condition of the pump and nozzle for damage caused by negligence of previous owners. Is the ski still oil injected? Hopefully yes, as that kinda makes it idiot proof in the hope that the previous owners didnt run the premix ratio too lean and shorten the life of the engine. Hopefully it still has the crankcase vent operational as well.

Check for cracks around the area where the handlepole mount is located. Also check the operation of the fire extinguisher compartment door and the gas cap door and hinge. These things can nickle and dime you to insanity if you are not careful.

As far as a price,Around here I've seen them (650sx's) go for between 500 and 1500 bucks, depending on condition of course.

Man, there is probably a lot that I really cant think of right now, but if you have any other questions, post 'em up. I've owned my 650's for 16 years now, so I have a good amount of experience with them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well it is currently selling for 600, with no trailer, its stock motor rebuilt 10 yrs ago with no mods, is there good mods that will increase performance but with relatively low cost? i was also thinking about repainting, is this difficult for a beginner? what kind of paint is used? and could be done in a 10ft by 10ft area ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, its still oil injected, no previous owners so next thing i guess is to do a compresion test. Can someone recommend a good tester to buy and where to buy.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just went out and messed with it, it would fire fine and a few times it started up but as soon as i let off the start it would die. Most of the time though i would hold the start and it fire off every time or two but never really start, it'd fire and shake the engine but no start.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
anyone know how many gallons and 87 650sx gas tank hold ? and how long does that last you going full throttle on a stock engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went out and messed with it some more, and it starts now. But it runs like crap and is spewing some oil out of the exhaust, and whenever you let the throttle off for more than like half a second it dies immediately. It doesnt bog down, it shuts off real quick.

Any ideas?

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
the stopping and going is either water in fuel or bad fuel lines or even or gummed carb

pull the carb and check

also pull the water serperator

1 - 15 of 15 Posts