Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody new to the site and the sport. Grew up on mx and xc bikes and quads, buddy picked up a 440 few weeks ago and after riding a couple of times i decided to pick up a mint 91 650sx. 1st trip it fired right up and ran solid for a couple hours when i went to restart it, it wouldn't turn over making that classic bad battery sound.

Took it home got a new battery charged it up put it in. Now the fun begins! It fired up for a split second and then cut off. After that anytime I hit the start button it doesn t even make a sound, no clicking, no electrical hum nothing! tested the battery 100% tried jumping it still no sound at all coming from it. about to go through with a volt meter and circuit tester but before i get into this foreign electrical system i wanted to know if this has ever happened to anyone else, or for that matter what it is and how to fix it.

Also can the fuel vent check value be replaced with just a fuel filter or could that be why it wont crank?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
5 Posts
David,
Im new to this as well but My Waverunner had simular issues as your ski. I found the issue to be a bad ground. Check all of your conections before you go tearing into it. As far as a fuel filter I cant see how that could cause the engine to not crank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea the ground seemed in tack went through the entire system up to the starter and starting at the battery at 12.66 v by the time it gets to the starter motor its 11.66. everything tested fine i think it the starter motor any other suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
well to see if it's your starter and anything between your battery and starter bypass the solenoid and see if the starter motor spins. you can do this by connecting your positive terminal directly to the positive bolt on ur starter. If the starter spins i would start with making sure there's no hydro lock going on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well if the engine is turning over but not starting. I suppose i would start with making sure the compression is good and the spark plugs are good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
na i mean the motor turns over by hand and the plugs and comp is good. got it all back together after going through the entire ignition system with everything testing to service manual specs still nothing....im really scratching my head on this one! 16 hrs going trough it and nothing...god learning experience feel a lot more comfortable with how everything breaks down on it but what in the heck could this be

now the actual handlebar switch it tested good as well but is there any wild chance its bad? maybe it got water in despite it still pulling a almost 0 when depressed reading on the multi reader

1 - 7 of 7 Posts