Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1989 650sx in amazing shape. The guy i bought it from got in new in 1990 and used it a few times.. oiled in up and left it. every year he would take it for service and start it every once in a while. It looks great and everything is stock except for a mariner head.

Now the bad. It will only start when fuel is poured down the carb. i thought it needed a carb rebuild. i had an extra carb that i swapped in and same problem. all the lines are good with no cracks. fuel pump works i think because when i remove fuel line from carb gas comes out. what else is there to check??

I WANT TO GO RIDE ALREADY!!!!

THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similar deal with my 1988 X2, just posted above about it. One phone call I made on it the guy said to check compression, wanted to rebuild the carb for $170, may do that after some more tinkering.

My cmprssn tested out good. I pulled card cover and cleaner not looking real good. Posted about that and the idea of testing it in the driveway.

Sure an easier way for you w/b starter fluid into carb intake, I am curious if thats not ideal to be doing each time though.

GdLk, hopefully some info coming frm someone for us, we then J-Ski on..

Don Fleming

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I am having the same problem with my 1989 650sx. I tried starting it so many times yesterday I killed the battery. I am going there this evening to see if that was the problem to begin with.

As for the starter fluid... that was working. Now I'm wondering if there is something more. I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have an 89 650sx that needed carb cleaner to start too....i cleaned the fuel pump , fuel filters , and changed the plugs and it starts great... the only problem is while riding it only seems to wanna take off once the exhaust leaves the water...any suggestions

1 - 5 of 5 Posts