Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, as you see this is my first post, I'm fairly new to jet skis as well. I bought my first jet ski a few months ago, it's a 1997 Kawasaki 750 ZXI. I've had it out on the water (salt) a few times already and I know how to properly clean it when finished. When I got it I had i brought it to a mechanic to check it out and see if i need anything and he did a compression test (don't remember the numbers), but he said everything was perfect. It runs good for 1997, I'm surprised. I got up to 57 MPH, if the speedometer is accurate.

Enough of the introduction. I had the jet ski in my garage charging on a trickle charger for a few days, and I wanted to start it up. Well normally when I turn the ignition to "On" the temp and oil lights come on and I can start the jet ski just fine. But now the lights won't come on and the jet ski wont start at all. You are probably thinking "its the battery you dumbass", well that's the first thing I figured, I'm going to buy a new battery today, but if this doesn't solve the problem then my question is, what else can I look for that might be wrong? Or maybe tips for simple problems that can go wrong..

Like I said it's my first jet ski so I don't know much about them mechanically. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I assume you mean it cranks over, but not fire up???. The lites should go on with the ignition. Could be a lot of things. Ignition switch bad?? There is a small module that controls the oil / temp lites... follow the wires from the lites themselves. This module can shut off your spark coils back in the e-box. Are you actually low on oil?? Sitting on the trailer, it might be tilted at a bad angle and the oil ran away from the tank sensor? If you are familiar with troubleshooting with a volt / ohm meter, you should get a copy of the elctrical schematic and start tracking the circuits. Do you have a manual?... you might find one free on-line, or buy thru e-bay etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume you mean it cranks over, but not fire up???. The lites should go on with the ignition. Could be a lot of things. Ignition switch bad?? There is a small module that controls the oil / temp lites... follow the wires from the lites themselves. This module can shut off your spark coils back in the e-box. Are you actually low on oil?? Sitting on the trailer, it might be tilted at a bad angle and the oil ran away from the tank sensor? If you are familiar with troubleshooting with a volt / ohm meter, you should get a copy of the elctrical schematic and start tracking the circuits. Do you have a manual?... you might find one free on-line, or buy thru e-bay etc.

No no no the jet ski is completely unresponsive. I even put in the new battery, still nothing. When I push the green button to start the engine nothing happens. It won't turn over, or start. It's completely unresponsive.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Are you sure you have the battery installed correctly (pos - neg)?
There is usually an extra (small gauge) black wire on the neg post.
Check for voltage (+12v) from battery Pos terminal to some other mechanical point on the engine to verify grounding wires.
Check for voltage at one pin of the start switch with the ignition turned ON (verify ignition switch).
There are more checks that could be done if the starter not spinning was your only problem... but since the indicator lights don't work either, I guess you'll find a problem with the above tests.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you have the battery installed correctly (pos - neg)?
There is usually an extra (small gauge) black wire on the neg post.
Check for voltage (+12v) from battery Pos terminal to some other mechanical point on the engine to verify grounding wires.
Check for voltage at one pin of the start switch with the ignition turned ON (verify ignition switch).
There are more checks that could be done if the starter not spinning was your only problem... but since the indicator lights don't work either, I guess you'll find a problem with the above tests.
I'm sure the battery is connected properly. All wires are connected. But I have not tested the connections. I'll check them as soon as I can, if I can't find a problem I'll report back. Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
did you find the problom ?? have you checked the fuses in the e box some times water or moisture finds its way in there and corrods terminals

·
Registered
2 Posts
1995 kawasaki 750 jet ski wont start

My jet ski is doing the exact same thing as yours. Turn key on and lights do not light up. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My jet ski is doing the exact same thing as yours. Turn key on and lights do not light up. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?
after so many months on this post it actually happend to my 900 zxi ...i could pull the lanyard and engine would still run

i first checked e box and trim box but could not find any thing

i then went to the stop switch and opened it up found that the brass connectors that slide and forth on the spring and board where really black oxidized ..

i cleaned with sandpaper and used vaseline for protection it did work but then my proplom was intermittent some time it would work and when you need it the most it never worked ..... so i knew i was close i reopened the stop switch and found or i should i say i over looked the 4 wires soldered into the rear of the stop switch that where also black (corroded)

i trimmed back and re soldered

i also ordered another stop start controll housing with all switched just in case mine was to far gone but i havent had a problom with my fix

·
Registered
1 Posts
96 zxi 750

my ski is also doing the exact thing. no power to anything. I use to mechanic for a living but just can't figure this one out I would really appreciate some help thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Member Here with a question about 750 ZXI

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and need some info. My Son has a 98 zxi 750 and it would not start (no spark ) and I pulled the cdi box out and tested the coil (also the box was full of salt water) he had just come home from the beach where he rode the ski and did not notice that a water line had come loose in the front of the engine compartment and it resulted in a part full engine bay and when he loaded it on the trailer the incline caused the water to go to the back and flood the cdi box which would have withstood this normally but one of the white nylon connector dodads had broken on one of the coil wires going to the spark plug and resulting in letting salt water in the cdi box BAD...
So here is my question I went ahead and got a new coil and also a new cdi module just for good measure and am putting it back together today when I hooked all the wires back up and replaced the white nylon dodad that was broken seems I have one connector inside the cdi housing that has no mate to connect to it has a lime green connector end and two wires going into it are blue and white and blue and red, my guess is that the module I took out was not connected to anything either, probably an option this ski does not have but I thought I would ask I am sure someone on a site like this knows off the top of their head and no I don't have a manual....
Thanks
GTGeorge
note to moderator: please put this post in the appropriate place under a new post, I cannot seem to move it just a dumb azz.........
Thank you

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dont really know what u r talking about can u add some pics to tell me more info because this sounds like u have a wires that r not connected

1 - 14 of 14 Posts