Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so bear with me. I have a 1985 JS440 and had a couple of the magnets fall out of the flywheel. Surprisingly, there was little damage done to the stator. I found a flywheel that had magnets in good shape and glued them into the original flywheel. I know, it probably wasn't the greatest idea, but it was a quick fix. After putting the motor back together, I have spark, compression and fuel, but no firing. Not even if I put a little gas in the cylinders. Is it possible that it isn't firing at the correct time. If so, does anyone know how to check when the plugs are firing? I haven't made any adjustments to the electrical system, and it was running fine before the magnets came unglued. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You need to get a replacement flywheel.

If you get the polarity wrong on the magnets it won't work.

If they are placed in the wrong spot the timing will be out.

I have seen pistons melted due to the timing being advanced too much.

Have you ran a continuity and ohms resitance test on the stator assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need to get a replacement flywheel.

If you get the polarity wrong on the magnets it won't work.

If they are placed in the wrong spot the timing will be out.

I have seen pistons melted due to the timing being advanced too much.

Have you ran a continuity and ohms resitance test on the stator assembly?
No, I haven't put a continuity tester on it yet. Looks like I'll have to spend some cash and get a new flywheel. As long as it's producing spark, the stator should be ok, right? I thought they either did or didn't work

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, sorry my bad on the continuity and ohms test.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know which way they are suppose to go.

You would need a good flywheel to check it against. A magnet with north and south marked on it. Then check the good flywheel for the polarity of the magnets.

Providing you glue your magnets in the same it should work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts