Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just purchased my first standup jetski which has some ignition issues. The seller told me that the ski did not have any spark and someone had put some oil in the flywheel housing. I am trying to find out what exactly is fried but I was unable to find any ignition tests that were specific to this ski. Any ideas on where to start or how to test?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
I just purchased my first standup jetski which has some ignition issues. The seller told me that the ski did not have any spark and someone had put some oil in the flywheel housing. I am trying to find out what exactly is fried but I was unable to find any ignition tests that were specific to this ski. Any ideas on where to start or how to test?

Thanks,
The stator is inside of the flywheel. More than likely the oil has destroyed it. Pull cover off, remove flywheel and see the damage. I'm pretty sure I have extra stators in my garage. Post it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to get the stator out this afternoon and it didn't look to be in too bad of shape. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow morning. Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
20 Posts
exciter and pulser coil resistance tests: exciter coil: meter setting Rx100 ohm. Connect to red and black wires you should read 270 ohm + or- 20%. Pulser coil : meter setting Rx10 ohm. connect red and gray wires you should read 25 ohm +or- 20%.

·
Registered
20 Posts
pulsor coil the small one looks dark.It looks like you are missing the washer on the lower retaining screw. looks can be decieveing Test it for sure!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tested the exciter and pulser coils and found that red to black gives me 107.1 ohms and red to gray shows 15.1 ohms. Looks like both are way outside the range. Although this may be my only problem, do you know how to test any of the other electrical components such as the charge coil, the regulator, the rectifier, etc?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just so you know this info is form a factory kawi service man for 1983 js550. Charging Coil Resistance Test: Meter Setting Rx1 light green to black 1.5 ohm +or- 20%, light green to black 1.5ohm +or- 20%, light green to light green 3ohm +or- 20%. Regulator Resistance test: meter setting rx100 ohm. Neg conn to orng and Pos to ground= no connection. Neg to orng + pos to lt grn = no conn. Neg to orng + pos to lt grn= no conn. Neg to groung + pos to orng= no conn. Neg to ground + pos to Lt grn=no conn. Neg to ground + pos to lt grn=no conn. Neg to lt grn + pos to orng= connection of some kind. book does not give spec. Neg to lt grn + pos to ground= connection. Neg to lt grn + pos to lt grn= no conn. Neg to lt grn + pos to orng=connection. Neg to lt grn + pos to ground=no conn. Neg to lt grn + pos to lt grn = no conn. Man i wish my camera would take a pic of that page But i cant get a legable pic to post so I hope this makes sence.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did all the tests and the results are:

light grn -- black 1.5 ohm +-20% 2.0-1.7
light grn -- light grn 3 ohm +-20% 3.1-3.5

(-) orange -- (+) ground no connection
(-) orange -- (+) light grn no connection
(-) ground -- (+) orange no connection
(-) ground -- (+) light grn no connection
(-) light grn -- (+) orange no connection
(-) light grn -- (+) ground no connection
(-) light grn -- (+) light grn no connection
(-) light grn -- (+) orange no connection

I also tested the high tension leads and found 1660 ohms across them both.

So I am guessing that my regulator is showing to be bad as well since the results that are in bold were suppose to show a connection?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Well I got a used stator assembly off of Ebay and that fixed the problem. It fired up nicely yesterday. Thanks for all the help!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts