Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the jet ski world and had a few questions. After riding my newly purchased 87 js550 I ran into problems. I found that there was a crack in the rounded water box hose and also found that the water box was leaking. So here are my questions:

Is the stocker still worth keeping if I fix the leak or should I purchase a new box? If a new box, what should I be looking to get?

Is there a bilge pump in the machine and if so how do I get it to pump the water faster if the hull ever fills? Where does the water exit from the bilge?

·
Registered
111 Posts
you should be able to fix that water box with JB weld or a fiberglass repair kit. But there are plenty of aftermarket options out there if you want to go that route also. I dont think an aftermarket wb will improve your performance much without other upgrades also so i dont know if it really matters. just make sure its for the correct years of 550, the exhaust exits at a different place on the earlier ones. (pre 1986 i think)

There is not a "bilge" pump per se but there is a scavenger pump that works on a venturi effect from the jet pump to suck water out.(Venturi effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). so to get max water sucking, you need wide open throttle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that covers it

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll JB the hole and get some new tubing.

- Prodentwill

I'd like to see a home-made ride plate too :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi guys
i have 1990 550sx i want to get nut off holding the flywheel on so i can check the timing does anyone know how i get it off its turning the crank over so is their special tool i need?

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts