Personal Water Craft Forum banner

'88 650sx ceased up

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dbattersby20 
#1 ·
I bought an '88 650sx and started it up about 3 weeks ago and it seemed to run great connected to a hose for several minutes. I went to drop it in the water today and it seems like the engine is ceased up or something and doesn't turn over.

I'm new to these motors so I wasn't sure what it could be. It's not the battery... I was wondering if you guys had any idea what may have happenned in the last 3 weeks that could do this.

Could the engine be flooded? What would this sound like? Or if there had been some water left in it from when i ran it on the hose could that do something to cease up the engine?

#2 ·
It may just be the starter went out because it would still turn over if the motor was flooded. The motor would definatly not cease from water being left in the pump from being ran on the hose. But it could be other things than the starter being bad so idk I would need to go and look at it but I cant lol...

#3 ·
It could be that there is a hydraulic lock going on. First- pull the plugs, second -right by the exhaust you should see a black knob. Pull that all the way out, about 1 1/2 inches. Now try to turn the engine over. If it was a hydraulic lock you should be turning over now, and spitting water out the plug holes.

Spray some wd-40 into the plug holes and reinstall the plugs. Push the crankcase drain valve closed. Now try to start the engine.

If you are running on a hose at home always 1- start motor, 2- start hose, 3-stop hose, 4- stop motor. Only run the water at a trickle, just enough so you see it coming out the pisser.
If the motor still wouldn't turn over you got bigger problems.

#4 ·
Thanks, I wasn't abale to find that knob though. Is that on the underside of the crankcase and I would have to pull the engine out to get to it or take off the exhaust? Also, do you know if the engine should still turn over by hand if a tried to turn the impeller shaft with some vise grips?

#5 ·
If you are experiencing a hydraulic lock then after you pull the plugs and drain the crankcase then the starter motor should turn it over easily. The crankcase drain should be located between the exhaust manifold and the expansion chamber. It is a black knob and you should be able to easily pull it straight up. If it is not there then chances are someone has removed it.

#6 ·
Thanks, Saturday i actually pulled the engine and someone did remove the drain valve so i popped off the plate and a decent a mount of liquid came out, now it's turning over. While i have the engine out Imma do a little work on it and hopefully start it up again next weekend...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.