Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright I have a 1988 Model 5801 ( the original first one) given to me, Here is the problem and What I have tested. It will start right up immediately, With brand new plugs it will get just a bit off idle and Nothing else, it will not stall but you can wide open and still the same engine speed. Here are some tests and things I have done.

With brand new plugs and idling around the pond for about two minutes the front Mag side Spark plug is brown colored and Hot, The Pto side Spark Plug is Clean and not hot, put in two brand new plugs just to eliminate a bad plug, same results, swap plug wires same results, the motor will run but very very very poorly when you just run it with the Mag Spark plug wire on, but will not start with just the PTO spark Plug wire on. Compression test shows 85 PSI on both cylinders. What should the compression for this motor be? and if this is low is this the characteristics it would have, because it starts amazingly easy. But loses power, just wierd. Any help would be great

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good News, I got a second opinion on the compression test, My gauge is shot, The real pressure is 136 on PTO side 133 on Mag side. Also the carb has been cleaned and the Low setting has been adjusted to stock, no point in fine tuning the low at this point. All the fuel lines are new and are not the gray ones. Thanks, for the suggestions, any more would help me not pull my hair out!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts