Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mechanic for 20 years, working on 2 strokes since early 80's. I have a 89 650 stand up Kawi that won't start. Here goes: fuel good including primed with gas/starter fluid etc. Sparks like mad, compression 140+ cold, reeds good, front cyl at TDC....timing mark roughly 15 BTDC. Even tried pulling manifold and spraying into reed cages with no fire. Once in a while it coughes. And yes plugs are new and cables are wired direct to plug top bypassing boots. Wholly crap, it's only an old 2 stroke and it's kicking my ass. So I have spark-fuel-compression-timing. Now what? Anybody ran into something that's not crossing my mind? History is it ran in garage with water flowing for about 10 min...ran great, then acted like it ran out of fuel as it died slowly.

And of course I wanted to take it to my first lake trip Sat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This may sound stupid but check the starter.

Mine had all the same as yours, compression, spark, and fuel but wouldn't start.:dunno: Luckily I had a second ski to keep trying various parts from. After exhausting all other options I finally tried the starter and BRRAPP.

The brushes get burnt and the armature as well, from prolonged use. The starter won't turn the engine over fast enough once under compression to create a good enough spark to fire the engine, but if you put a plug on the wire you still see blue.

I have diagnosed this problem more than once since that day.

I simply pulled it apart, filed the brushes smooth. Put the armature into a 1/2 drill clamped in the vice to act as a lathe and ran a draw file over the brushes contact area. Re-assembled and ran the starter on the bench for about 1 min. to reseat the brushes. This worked great and the starter is still working 4 years later.:appl:

I can't explain the symptom of appearing to run out of gas other than, "did it"?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where are used parts 89 650?

I have a broken key to the magneto and stator damage, where is a good site for older parts.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Stator is probably still good

I have a broken key to the magneto and stator damage, where is a good site for older parts.
The flywheel key is a standard woodruff key that you should be able to locate at any local hardware store.

If the Stator has some scoring on it that shouldn't affect anything, as long as the windings are still O.K. If you are in doubt about that then check them with an ohm meter.

I'd be careful about buying used. I had a stator rewound for me once and even though the readings were within acceptable tolerances it wouldn't work properly.

I don't remember which website I saw them on but you can purchase the Ignitor, and exciter windings individually and then solder them into the wiring.

If you have to that would be the direction I would go.

I would just replace the key first, then try to fire it up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Found the site

Jet Repair Inc. has both the charge coil and the exciter coil $39.00 approx each.

I have ordered through them before and it was quick and easy, with no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pistions

If you checked the possible solutions above and nothing try checking the directions the pistons were put in they might need to be spun 180 degrees in order to pickup the fuel in the crankcase bc two stroke pistons are directional and have a port on onside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts