Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
89 kawasaki 650 sx

Green start button fires the ski right up but red kill button won't' shut off. Replaced entire switch assembly from a working ski and same exact problem.

FYI: This is not a case where there is an air leak and the engine revs out of control. The engine runs and idles fine...

All 4 wires appeared to be connected correctly. The electrical box has 2 boxes basically...the small box with the spark plug wires and the bigger box with the relays and battery cable wires.

Not sure how to fix and not sure which box to replace or even focus my attention on?

Need help as this one is out of my area of knowledge and I don't want to waste money on something without understanding the problem. You can buy a replacement CDI Igniter (which is small box with the spark plug wires) but this doesn't make sense as the problem...I haven't been able to locate the entire electrical assembly to just bypass the entire issue!

Need help/ideas!

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No Help?

Can anyone provide some guidance on the electrical box / CDI ignition for the kawasaki 650 sx?

Could the problem be with the Relay Switch in the Electrical Box?
What about the Ignition CDI?

I dont' believe it's the actual switch assembly because the problem exists with the old switch and the switch taken off a running ski.

Any electrical gurus out there who can at least explain how the electrical works on these ski to help my diagnosis the problem?

Anyone?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem Solved

Kind of bummed no one had any advice or guidance on this issue...so I just started went to work on it:

Purchased a new CDI Ignition from ArielTek. Arrived but did not install as the spark plug wires & caps seemed smaller in outside diameter and basically "whimpy" compared to the stock OEM. Returned the item. This was the only "new" replacement for the CDI Ignition box I could locate on-line.

Purchased a used CDI ignition from EBay along with a used on/off switch assembly.

I went ahead and replaced the CDI and Switch Assy at the same time. The ski fired right up and the kill button stopped the motor. Verified a few times to ensure it was properly working. Problem solved.

Not sure if the switch was part of the problem. My guess is that it was the CDI Ignition box. I did not mess or replace any part of the larger Ebox with the Relays or the Rectifier.

It doesn't look like you can refurbish or fix a faulty or worn out CDI Ignition box as it is sealed. Still confused as why the start button worked but not the stop button.

All in all the fix cost me about $200

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are two different circuits that run to the start/stop button assy. The start button has an orange and white wire. One wire carries 12V to the switch and the other takes that 12V down to close the starter relay upon pressing the button. The stop button has a blue and black wire (I think). One wire carries ground to the switch and the other takes that ground down to the CDI to kill the spark. Most likely the CDI was culprit, however if you didn't have a good ground going to the switch that could have been an issue as well. Bottom line is that it is back up and running.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the exact same problem in my 1997 Tigershark Daytona 1000. The Stop button worked fine until I removed and installed a different used engine (also 97 Tigershark Daytona 1000). My engine will start but will not stop from the stop button or pulling out the lanyard key from under the stop button. I double checked all wiring and connections and everything looks fine. I think it would just be too much of a coincidence that the Stop button or CDI just stopped working when I changed the engine. From everything I have read I think it is probably something to do with a ground, but how do I check to see if I have a good ground going to the switch? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks rodsatheart! After taking apart the first white connector for the wires from the Stop & Start buttons, testing them which showed good, and putting the connector back together, the switch worked. So even though the connection was securely together before, it was in the connection and taking it apart and putting it back together did the trick!

·
Premium Member
5,059 Posts
Prob. a small amount of corrosion it it. I would pack it, and all other connections with Electrical connector grease. Just squeeze some in the female ends of the plugs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem Solved

Kind of bummed no one had any advice or guidance on this issue...so I just started went to work on it:

Purchased a new CDI Ignition from ArielTek. Arrived but did not install as the spark plug wires & caps seemed smaller in outside diameter and basically "whimpy" compared to the stock OEM. Returned the item. This was the only "new" replacement for the CDI Ignition box I could locate on-line.

Purchased a used CDI ignition from EBay along with a used on/off switch assembly.

I went ahead and replaced the CDI and Switch Assy at the same time. The ski fired right up and the kill button stopped the motor. Verified a few times to ensure it was properly working. Problem solved.

Not sure if the switch was part of the problem. My guess is that it was the CDI Ignition box. I did not mess or replace any part of the larger Ebox with the Relays or the Rectifier.

It doesn't look like you can refurbish or fix a faulty or worn out CDI Ignition box as it is sealed. Still confused as why the start button worked but not the stop button.

All in all the fix cost me about $200
I have 98 Kawasaki, i am having same problem, it would start but it wont turn off so i took it to jetski shop and they order new kill install and it did not work. they still trying to find out that if is killswtich or something else. can you help me so i could tell the shop people and get my jet ski up and running please ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts