Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought our family's second ski, a 1991 650SX. We have had a 05 Honda F-12X but wanted a stand up for the kids. I picked this one up for $550 as the dealership was going out of business. :D
Block seems rebuilt or super pristine, good compression and starts right up. Engine bay ultra clean. Everything appears as new gasket edges still soft and pliable, no corrosion whatsoever. must have never been in Salt. Thinking it was used sparingly and then left to sit outside for years due to paint fade. Missing choke cable, oil injection lines. Body is in good shape. No cuts in hull at all and wearing original Kaw colors and stickers, Pro aftermarket plate and grate. Fixed oil injection and it drips one drop of oil about every 10 seconds while running with 15" vacuum coming off intake port. Is this about right? Gas in fuel tank was premixed but if oil injection working then I won't pre-mix after this tank is empty. Found choke cable on Ebay and ordered.

Does anybody have a link to a FREE owners manual? I see free Kaw morocycle manuals to download everywhere but nothing for Jetskis. Cheapest is $49.

Appreciate any advise.

David

Needs new turf mat, any links for aftermarket?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. I noticed it has the stock air cleaner and under it is a aluminum mesh plate but no paper/ foam air filter. No one seems to carry it, any ideas, go to K&N ???? Any links?

·
Registered
144 Posts
P.S. I noticed it has the stock air cleaner and under it is a aluminum mesh plate but no paper/ foam air filter. No one seems to carry it, any ideas, go to K&N ???? Any links?
Yup, that's right for the stock spark arrestor/ air filter. I'm not sure who would carry an aftermarket adaptor plate. The piece gets bolted to the top of the carb then you can use a K&N.

Has a primer been installed. That is usually why the choke cable is removed, as well they would have removed the choke shaft and butterfly.

I'm not sure how much oil usually comes out of the oil injection tube. I have always run the injection system so I have never pre-mixed and been able to pull the tube to check.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the world of stand-ups.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Any info on the amount of oil that is suppoed to come off the oil pump?

O.K. so I have checked my manual for the "required" amount of oil output from the pump.

@ 3000rpm for a 2 minute duration the correct amount of oil should be between 5.9 and 7.2 cc of oil.

I would strongly suggest you buy a manual. It's money well spent.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:thumbsup:I'll have to pull the cleaner and check the butterfly to make sure it's all there. Sounds like a manual is in my future. Thanks for the info.

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had three 650sx's over the years. The oil injection tends to fail on them if they sit or get gummed up. Plus the oil pump are crap. If I were you I would get any oil block kit. They sell them on ebay and are easy to install. then just mix your oil with the gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts