Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Got a 92 seadoo gt was running great. Niece was riding, took a sharp turn and she said it slowly died out.

Hitting the start button produces a loud "CLUNK". Took out battery charged over night, still get the "clunk". Took out plugs - still "Clunk". Hooked up battery from speed boat, still "clunk". Can't turn shaft by hand even without plugs in the engine.

I let it sit over night, and this morning it turned over - maybe 1/2 dozen times - just like normal, but it didn't start, then it went back to the "CLUNK". Tried boat battery again - still CLUNK.

The clunk sounds like bendix is springing out and hitting the flywheel, but it just can't turn it.

ideas on what to check? I know my way around engines - car, outboat and I/O boat engines, but this is my first time digging into a PWC engine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more info

It started cranking real good just now. I put the plugs back in and with a little choke and throttle it started up, then puttered out - usual behavior for a cold start. When to push the button again and just got the CLUNK.

It's almost like it sometimes has the power to turn the engine, then sometimes it doesn't like some sort of faulty ignition part (?)

·
Registered
48 Posts
When it goes "clunck" take the plugs out and see if you can turn driveshaft, if it comes and goes like you say, I would agree with maybe a starter bendix issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses gents. Was out of town for a week and just pulled the front cover off the engine. Could see that the starter gear was stuck- engaged on the flywheel. Took off the exhaust pipe got two bolts off the starter and then saw that it take an engine pull to get at the last starter bolt. Dang!! Looks like I have a nice winter project - the seasons almost over up here in northern Minnesota.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Shouldn't have to do an engine pull. Its tricky but don't forget about the bracket support in the back, and get a nice long extension, 1/4 drive and a chrome swivel socket, 13 mm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still having problems

Hiya -

Still having the "clunk" problem with this jet ski. I rebuilt the starter over the winter and got a new battery - same results. Engine turms about 5 -10 degrees and then the loud "clunk" sound.

I pulled the jet pump out of the back (thinking it might be frozen up) and fount that I can't even turn the engine by hand more than 5 - 10 degrees. So I'm pretty sure that it must be something internal to the engine. Anyone care to guess what it could be?

:dunno: What else can I test before tearing down the engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Broken connecting rod? Are you talking about a 91 GT because they only made GTS and GTX in 92. Starter doesn't have a bendix/gear since it is all one-piece anyway. Stick a screwdrived down the cylinder and see which piston isn't moving. Also, look around the crankcase for a hole. Seen all these problems before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not see any holes in crank case upon initial inspection. Both pistons are moving up and down when I turn by hand (still can only rotate the engine only about 5 degrees or so).

I'm stumped!

I guess it is a 1991 instead of a 92. Sorry about that.

anything else I can check before pulling the engine out?

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Resolution!

Well, I pulled the engine and brought it in to a local shop. They said it's the crank bearings, quoted me a price for putting in a new/rebuilt one. It was about 2X the price of a rebuilt engine from SBT. So I ordered up a engine.

I set out to pull off all the parts off the old engine and that's when I found the REAL reason the engine would not turn.

A small chunk of metal was jammed between the rotary valve and the intake port on one of the cylinders! It must have been in there for a while as the surface of the block where the valve spins and the surface of the intake manifold were pretty gouged out and it finally got jammed up just right to cause the loud clunk!

Well, now I have a new engine coming and a pretty chewed up intake manifold and rotary valve - any one have a used intake manifold and rotary valve for a 1991 sea doo GT 587 engine? :D

I guess I could sand it down a bit, probably screw up the clearance though DOH!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts