Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 92 Yamaha 650 last year and this is my first PWC. It is very diffucult to start. Sometimes it takes 20 mins to start others a few minutes. I was told to two ways to start it. One was full choke and full throttle. The other is full choke and no throttle. I haven't seen much of a difference in either. I dont know if octane rating has anything to do with it, but i use 87. I have checked spark, but pluggs still get soaked. Please help!!! :dunno:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny that you should say that. May dad just tried poring gas straight in the cylinder and it fired right up. Is there website for rebuild parts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine just started to do the same thing this past week. Just before the trip (5 days) I flushed the fuel cell (had little bits of pink plastic in it; I suspect from the fuel jugs), replaced all the fuel and vent lines, changed the fuel filter, and spark plugs. It started up at the house instantly and sounded great. Dropped it in the water and it worked great the first day. The second day I had some problems. First attempt it fired right up and died after about 2 seconds. Tried again with about 1/8 throttle applied, it fired for a second and died. After that it wouldnt start (just cranked over). Pulled the plugs and they were soaked with oil/fuel. Cleaned them off and reinstalled, it started right up. Day three I had the same problem. Pulled the plugs, they were dry and looked perfect. Dumped a bit of fuel in the carb (looked like the filter was dry but it really wasnt) and didnt get anything. Checked plugs again, rinse and repeat. By now the battery was getting low so I brought the truck down and jumped it. I let it crank for probably 15 seconds at wide open throttle and it came to life; ran great the rest of the day. I raised the idle a bit right after we started it. Day four we had the same problem. I jumped it off the truck again but it would start with any throttle applied but did after about the same time frame with no throttle applied (worked great again all day). Day five we started it without giving it any throttle, fired up instantly and ran just fine.

So, I'm guessing it was flooding out on cold starts. Oh, I've never had to use the choke on it and if my theory is right about the flooding, this would just add to the problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts