Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked this thing up this past weekend, me and the seller tooled around the lake with it for a couple of hours (had to wait for a notary) Worked great, started up just fine, ran fine. Trailered it up, went home (2 hour drive), went to drop it in my lake and started up just fine, Idled out of my cove... but when I went to give it some gas it died. Started back up after a few seconds but died 3-5 seconds later. So at this point I tied off to my dock to let it idle for a bit, thinking ok maybe it needs to "warm up" but wouldn't stay started more than 5 seconds. Motor Sounds fine.

Got it home and checked the voltage on the battery (11.8v), Checked the fuse and checked the connections with a MM where I could. Everything is getting/drawing power to the Electrical Box. When I depress the start button now nothing happens, figured ok maybe the battery needs a charge (new battery) so let it sit on a charger for a few hours. Kill Switch is working fine. No Dice. Wont even start now. I do hear a fain clicking noise either in the Electrical Box or the "thingy" (technical term) on the side of it. Its faint so I really cannot track it. I jumped the starter with 12v from the battery and it turns over fine (didn't leave it on long enough to run)

So I am thinking it is either the starter solenoid or the CDI Box? Which from what I understand the Starter Solenoid is inside the electrical box and you can test it by shorting it with a screw driver or sorts. But I am not sure if the parts inside the EB are user serviceable as documentation on this thing are practically non existent except for Carb repairs.

This is a great forum and seems to provide a wealth of info, hoping you all can help me with this :) I wanted to get a PWC and the WR500 seemed like a good jump in point vs spending $3000 on something I may not enjoy as much as boating. Least now I get a crash course on working on them :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I figured, I jumped the relay and it fired right up and shut off with teh stop button and with teh kill switch.

Any idea on where to find one? Ebay is turning up empty. Or could I just bypass it or would that cuase further issues?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I had this same problem and I wanted to help others with the results. I was getting a very faint spark after 5-10 seconds of running, then eventually nothing. I disconnected the input to the coil and measured AC voltage and it was 5-10VAC. I had the luxury of having 2 identical models so I starting swapping parts. First I tried the easiest piece which was the 3 wire pulser on the side of the box, nothing. Then I measured the coil resistance and I knew I found the problem. I measured .33 ohms across the primary, and 10megs from the plug wire to the primary orange wire. This didn't sound right, but before ordering the part, I measured my other unit and it was the same. I measured the voltage across the coil on the good unit and got nearly 40vac so it had to be something up stream.

The only thing left was the CDI box. It was a PITA to switch out but that was definately the problem. The problem followed to the other ski. I contemplated getting a used one but apparently this is a huge high failure item so I just got a new one for $289.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts