Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 93 Seadoo Explorer with a siezed shaft bearing. I replaced this bearing and decided to rebuild the jet pump at the same time. Then the jet pump was rebuilt, it spun relatively freely but there was some resistance because the impeller made contact with the wear ring in a few spots.

I recently took it out for the first time and felt a small vibration. To be honest, I've never ridden a Seadoo before so I cant compare one experience with another to determine what is normal vibration. I am afraid that this might be a mis-aligned shaft. Is it necessary to use an alignment tool if you do not remove the engine? I only ran it for 2-3 minutes then returned to the dock. Should I be concerned? Is this vibration normal? Do I need to use an alignment tool for this kind of job?

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most of the time I do a shaft job or seal carrier I determine if it is misaligned if I can not very easily slide the shaft into the PTO. Then I break out the alignment tool and see if the motor needs to be shimmed.
Is the impeller still hitting the wear ring? Was it hitting before it went in the boat? Ummmmmm you did put oil in the pump right? sorry, had to ask :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I rebuilt the pump I dod not replace the wear ring or change the impeller and they appeared to be in good shape. The impeller was touching the wear ring before it went in the boat. I only changed the bearings and seals. After this I did add genuine Seadoo oil to the pump. :D

The impeller is still just barely touching the wear ring. I assume the gap will open up with a bit more wear right?

When I installed the pump, the shaft seemed to line up well. There was no pounding required. It just slipped onto place. Is there a way to determine if the shaft is misalligned in the boat. Can I turn the PTO and determine if the shaft is out of allignment?:dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I rebuilt the pump I dod not replace the wear ring or change the impeller and they appeared to be in good shape. The impeller was touching the wear ring before it went in the boat. I only changed the bearings and seals. After this I did add genuine Seadoo oil to the pump. :D

The impeller is still just barely touching the wear ring. I assume the gap will open up with a bit more wear right?

When I installed the pump, the shaft seemed to line up well. There was no pounding required. It just slipped onto place. Is there a way to determine if the shaft is misalligned in the boat. Can I turn the PTO and determine if the shaft is out of allignment?:dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts