Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this 93 gts along with a 94 xp cheap to see how we like it before we invest a bunch of cash. The xp runs like a bat otta hell however some issues with the gts.
First out it ran great for the first 30 minutes then bogged down and eventually died, I found it was taking on water and choking itself and while looking it over I noticed the drain hose at the bottom of the exhaust pipe was off and as I was fooling with that I saw the exhaust manifold was loose. I removed the pipe completely for inspection and it was fine. all gasket surfaces were fine so reinstalled with new gasket and torqued as specified. Took it out yesterday and it ran fine for about 45 minutes so in it came (also, its a little cold in Syracuse). When pulled the drain plug it did drain some water but no where near what it was so it still seems to be taking some water on. this is all new to me but I am mechanical and do all my own mechanical work. I had dollies delivered today so I can work on them comfortably over the winter...carb rebuild, wear rings, etc.
Now the question...what other points of possible water entry should I be looking for?
Also any thoughts on bilge pumps...are they automatic or wired to a switch? recommended or not?
Im pretty sure we are gonna bite the bullet on a couple newer ones next year but I want to be sure they will last us till end of season sales 馃檪

Registered
Fred,

Take a look in the jet outlet & see if there are two little white plastic tubes sticking down into the water stream. On my 97 & 98, They are the venturi bilge outlets & the jet blast creates a vacuum that sucks water out of the bottom of the hull. When I got my '98 XP limited it was all apart from prior owners due to "taking on water". One of those little plastic extensions was missing & so the pump was pushing water in instead of sucking it out. Also, these old skis just leak around the covers a bit if you're riding aggressive &/or pushing the front under water. I've replaces gaskets & things but still end up with a bit of water afterwards. The electric bilge pump on my '98 has an internal float switch. But it does fire off for a few seconds when you install the lanyard. Otherwise, I don't think they will run without the engine running?? 97 GTX I don't think even has one. Just the venturi system.

The service/owners manuals are free to download in several places...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred,

Take a look in the jet outlet & see if there are two little white plastic tubes sticking down into the water stream. On my 97 & 98, They are the venturi bilge outlets & the jet blast creates a vacuum that sucks water out of the bottom of the hull. When I got my '98 XP limited it was all apart from prior owners due to "taking on water". One of those little plastic extensions was missing & so the pump was pushing water in instead of sucking it out. Also, these old skis just leak around the covers a bit if you're riding aggressive &/or pushing the front under water. I've replaces gaskets & things but still end up with a bit of water afterwards. The electric bilge pump on my '98 has an internal float switch. But it does fire off for a few seconds when you install the lanyard. Otherwise, I don't think they will run without the engine running?? 97 GTX I don't think even has one. Just the venturi system.

The service/owners manuals are free to download in several places...
Thanks Trog
I did download the manual and am working my way thru it. Carbs are off and Im rebuilding them then the jet pump is coming out and I will take a look at those. The bilge pump will probably be a good idea while Im doing all this work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts