Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member, love this site. You guys seem very knowledgeable, that's why I'm asking this question.

Alright, I'll try to make this short.

I've got a 93 TS 650, first jet ski, first time toying with a 2 stroke. The first weekend we had it out on the lake, it ran fine. Had some throttle issues so I decided to take the carb off and clean it. Took it back to the lake and had some starting issues. It would start fine with throttle but wouldn't start on its own. Ended up rebuilding the carb and ever since I did that I've ran into a nightmare.

I'm almost positive I didn't screw anything up inside the carb. I put everything back together the exact way it came apart. My issue now is it won't even start. I've got spark because I just checked that today. I checked the compression and I've got 150psi on the front cylinder and 160psi on the back cylinder. I took the reed valves out today and checked them, they looked fine. I put it in the river today and left it on the trailer and was able to get it to start and run on starter fluid but will not start with out it. Of course, as soon as the starting fluid is burned up, it dies.

I've got a new fuel sediment bowl (what Kawi calls the fuel filter) and a new fuel relief valve. The pick up screen in the tank looks brand new. I know it's getting fuel to the cylinders because the plugs are wet with gas when I pull them out. There was also a bunch of fuel that came out of the carb today when I took it apart again to double check things.

I'm at a complete loss here. It seems to me that the engine is getting everything it needs to run, but it refuses to cooperate. It's literally driving me insane. You guys are my last resort before it goes to a mechanic.

What am I missing here? Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eh, thought about it, but could only find a couple on ebay for a couple hundred bucks and my Kawi dealer wants $400. I only paid $500 for the ski and trailer.

I did end up finding the problem though. It ended up being the reed control valve and cable assembly. Didn't even know anything like that existed but I'm glad I finally figured it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts