Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gas gauge just stopped working, it shows empty all the time (just one led is lit up the one for empty.) When I am cranking the motor over all the leds on the gauge light until engine starts then just one lights showing empty. I have pulled out the sensor once and it looks very complex.
Please advise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
may help...

I am new here, but I just had my sending unit out this Saturday. The old 95' I bought had been sitting up for about 4 years and one of the problems it had (because it had 1/2 tank of gas in it these 4 years) was the floats were all seized up. I haven't got mine running yet, so I don't know if I fixed it, but I did get them un-seized. But I only wrote to tell you that it only looks complex, mine had four floats on it that each had a range, each range was blocked off from the next with snap rings. From what I found, I think depending on where each float is on the rod, there is a different resistance between the 2 wires coming off of it. So I don't know how much you messed with it, but possibly some of your floats are seized as well? If so, just work them back and forth a bit. Just thought I would share what I have learned in my very short experience with the 'underhood' of a jet-ski. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would I be looking for? This is a long probe with a bunch of metal disks, Is there something I can test with an ohms meter?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine is back in the tank and at my parents house, but I am not even sure mine works anyway, so my Ohm readings may not even be correct. Maybe they changed it up in '95, but starting from the top down (going from memory) mine was snap ring/plastic disk/float (which is a black tube about 1" long)/plastic disk with 2 flanges/snap ring/...then this pattern continued down another 3 times. the black floats should move freely up and down within their range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I just finished fixing mine (I hope) from the biggest hack job I've ever seen by some complete moron. Disabled every system, saftey, and switch on the craft, supposedly it ran, but I dont know how with the stop button put together wrong and jamned on.

Anyway, enough ranting.

I have about 2 gallons in the tank and I read 4k ohms. The guage cluster needs - on black, + on red and +on brown when running. Just in case anyone needs that info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still no luck

I have checked all the floats on the sending unit, every thing looks fine. Nothing is stuck or out of place. AN ohms reading on the units plug showes no shorts. Put everything back together and gauge still reads empty after a few seconds of running. (gauge reads full right after startup for a few seconds) What else can I check?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts