Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I took my '94 yamaha wave raider with it's modified racing engine to have several issues trouble shot: Leaking head, stuck gas knob, and guages not working, after sitting for several years. After 2 months of working on it and getting parts, I got it back and he said he tried several things to stop the leaky head, including planing it, and trying to add a gasket, and having to bore out one of the head bolts because it was stuck. I had been calling him for several weeks and he kept stopping to work on other skis and let mine sit. When it was finally done, it started right up, but I didn;t think to open the seat. Just the head was $500.00. He wrote on my receipt that the next step would be to replace the head if it started leaking again, which made me uncomfortable. 2 days later when we took it out on the lake, we babied it by slowly running it at first idle for a few minutes and then 15 mph, then 30 then 45, each time for 5-10 min and then bringing it back to shore to check for leaks.After running it At 45mph for 10 min it was leaking again. This repair place comes highly recommened and has been in business for a long time. ( This ski used to top end at 62mph without hesitation, and turned like butter. It was modified out of state for racing, and was a blast to ride) So I took it back and he said it would be another $850.00 to replace the head and pistons and whatever else he said it needed since the head was bad. A side note: while he had it 2 months, I stopped by to ask how it was coming along and he showed me the head that he just planed. I noticed some small dings in it and asked if that mattered and he said no and That he couldn't plane it anymore than that. There is only one other place I can take it and he said he is not sure he can even fix it. Did I spend this $500.00 for the head fornothing, or could he have done something else? Is there anything else I can do to salvage it before spending an additional $850? It has sentimental value and because it it is so much fun to ride when it runs, I wanted to try to rebuild it. Help.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts