Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 550sx today I think its a 95. I was told it had a new top end rebuild not long ago. It has about 140compression and is hard to turn over ( not sure if thats high or not). It has a new starter and it does barely start up and run ( just has an autozone battery that might not be peak power either). Also it bogs down if you give it a quick throttle. It doesn't have that quick rev. like I would expect. He said he was playing around with the high low settings on the carb but couldn't get it right. So my to question are about the compression hard to turn over, and do I need to adjust the carbs or a rebuild kit on the carb. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
95 550sx stand-up Kaw. After some more checking out here is my latest info. With a full charge ski turns over ok and starts right up. I checked the compression and its 180 on each cylinder. Runs great at idle, the when I give it gas it will bog down and misses. The last time I started it on the hose I gave it a few throttle pulls still running just ok, so I walk away and leave it at idle, I am in my garage and it starts revving up and down and then just goes nuts at full rip without me touching the throttle. So I run out hit the kill button it won't shut off "crap" then I disconnect the negative on the battery and it dies. It probably ran about 15 second full bore, luckily I had it all open and easy to get to, I also noticed the little toggle under the start button that might have cut it off not sure though, I guess the kill didn't work because it was revving so high not sure. Maybe the guy I bought it from was adjusting the idle and set screws to compensate for it running bad and then what ever was blocking the fuel let loose? Need some help I am thinking getting a rebuild kit for the carb for starters. Thanks for any help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts