Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a decent backyard mechanic, but this problem has me stumped... Was riding the jet ski last weekend, had run for an hour or so and it was running like a champ. Had it at low throttle and the engine just died. Had to get a tow back to shore since it wouldn't start.

It has a new battery. It has spark on all three cylinders. Compression checked on all cylinders, and all equal. Spark plugs are clean and gapped. Fuel pump is pulling gas. Choke is working. Full of new gas and oil. I've tried squirting starting fluid directly into cylinders, pouring new premium fuel diirectly into fuel line, and get the same result... it just cranks and cranks and won't fire.

I haven't checked timing, but the cranking sounds ok.

Please. Any suggestions welcomed!

·
Registered
811 Posts
When is the last time you had a look inside the carbs? Maybe they need cleaning or rebuilding.

Try pouring a shot of gas directly into the cylinders instead of ether as ether evaporates to fast by the time you replace the plugs and fire.

That always worked for my cold natured snowmobiles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I sprayed starting fluid directly into the carb jets with the flame arrestor off. Can crank within seconds after spraying. If that didn't start the engine, I'm thinking the spark must be too weak. Is that even possible? I can see the spark crossing the gap on each cylinder, so that seems a stretch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts