Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am new to jet-ski's and obviously new to the forum, it looks like I will be coming here a lot more once I get deeper into this new money pit I am digging. I just bought a '95 750SS that has been sitting up for about 4 years. When I initially tried to strart it, it would turn over, but would not start. Using starting fluid in the intake it ran, and sounded fine, on the starting fluid, but it was not getting gas. I took the carb off then apart. The diaphragm appeared to be fine, minus a little varnish deposit, but I cleaned it up, and it seemed fine, It was not rotten, or cracked. I am not sure what the diaphragm's consistency is supposed to be, but I would compare it to something a bit thicker than the plastic on the front of a windowed envelope. I put it back together after looking at that and went hunting for another problem, and I found it. I had to rip out the engine, to get out the gas tank, to clean out the 1/2" thick puddle of brown crud at the bottom, and had to replace the fuel filter (the one mounted in the top of the tank with the 2 different length tubes coming from it) Something had crystallized at the top of the old one and clogged the return and vent hole). So I thought this might have solved my problem, but this past Saturday when I installed it, I am still not getting any gas. My first thought is to actually take off and clean out the carb. And if this doesn't work, replace what appears to be a fine diaphragm. Any thoughts/Ideas would be greatly appreciated. Also, on a side note, what is that thing you pull at the top right side of the motor for that opens the reed valve at the bottom of the crankcase?:):confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, what does the control valve control? It is spring loaded and has maybe 3/8" of movement, and yes it does have a choke. By checking do you mean just make sure there is nothing blocking the port?

·
Registered
194 Posts
shoul go from carb to crank case. It is a vacuum line to keep the fuel coming to the carb. If it is not attached it will not feed fuel. Or has a hol in it . you can check it by removing and blowing into while blocking other end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there: I have this exact same ski and the exact same problem. I'm in the process of tracking back from the carb to see why I'm not getting any fuel. The tank is 1/2 full with brand new gas, and the ski ran just fine last summer. Hard to believe it can run OK and then suddenly not - seeing as there's no fuel pump and all....

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I have access to the Riva Motors site and can see the schematics....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This past Saturday I finally got mine running on it's own. My big problem was the fuel filter that mounts into the top of the tank as I mentioned in my post. I spoke with a Kawasaki tech, and he told me when one sits up that long full of gas, you really need to go thru ALL passageways that gasoline passes thru. I figured I would start with the carb, SO I took it all apart, and cleaned everything, but I think my problem was more direct. While inside the carb, I was 'working' anything that moved inside to loosen it all up and when I got to item 16030 (see Rivamotorsports.com's Kawasaki Streetbikes Parts Finder) which is a pin that moves in and out and lets in the gas when the diaphragm works the other end of the pivot on 16055. When depressing the end opposite the pin I felt a very slight click, and the pin came out a little further, and then worked back and forth as it was suppose to. So it appears the old gas had caused the pin to seize up and I un-seized it. I think another problem I had was, since my system was getting no gas initially, due to the clogged filter, and I was starting it, and running it, even for very short durations, on starting fluid, that the diaphragm side of my card had filled up with oil, I assume it was because the oil pump was working, but the gas was not coming in and mixing. Anyway hope this helps. let me know if I can help further.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got mines going too....

Just kept feeding it starter fluid. She eventually ended up running on her own. I think I had some bad gas, and just had to cycle thru it.

All this talk of rebuilding carbs is effort wasted I think. Usually not required....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think in my case it was necessary, but there aren't many people out there dumb enough to leave a few thousand dollar toy to rot outside with a full tank of gas (as was the guy I bought mine from). But I agree, it is usually not required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts