Personal Water Craft Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I almost sank plenty at boat launch forgetting drainplug! To check compression without a guage you can crank motor and put your finger over hole to get a rough guess 120 psi will at least cause your finger to push up using some pressure. I’ll get back on trim after i can remember precheck. That is a shallow hull design and max. Rider weight is 400lbs they say 2 passenger but be prepared for tippyness. It will be tricky to get on plane also especially with more weight in back.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I almost sank plenty at boat launch forgetting drainplug! To check compression without a guage you can crank motor and put your finger over hole to get a rough guess 120 psi will at least cause your finger to push up using some pressure. I’ll get back on trim after i can remember precheck. That is a shallow hull design and max. Rider weight is 400lbs they say 2 passenger but be prepared for tippyness. It will be tricky to get on plane also especially with more weight in back.
Copy that. That's good news because that's what we did just to see if there was pressure on all cylinders without a guage.

You know, the more I look at the side of it I can see it as being pretty shallow. Will need to get some type of bouys to attach to the rails in the rear to help stabilize weight. Hmm.

Much appreciated.

Is the TC-W3 Oil still what is recommended for these older ski's? I'm going to get clean fuel and want to make sure I get the right oil or if I can even find it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You either go all synthetic 2stroke oil (40.00 bucks at least a gallon)or the conventional. Try not to mix either together. Lucas oil sells part synthetic at oreilly auto in my town in central wisconsin for 25.00 gal. I’ve been using that for less smoke. But tc-w3 i’ve used just fine and cheapest too. Our oil is refined with far less ash in it since back when also. A big reason we get more mileage these days in my opinion. Goodluck. If you run it out of water don’t do it for too long (5-10sec.) and if hookedup to a hose make sure engine is running first and shut wateroff before engine. You don’t need alot of hose pressure or taker down to boatlaunch with seat off to make sure she doesn’t take on water. Have fun with the new toy i will try to post a pic of mine soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Good to know. I'm looking to hook up the hose and crank it in the driveway first before I hit water. Here's a random question, I'm not seeing a reverse of any kind. Did I get that lucky? lol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you mean a reverse bucket to go in reverse on the water? I posted a pic of one of my tigersharks to show you what i mean about the shallow hull on the polaris. That shark hull works well in waves and chop with two passengers( larger seat & deep hull) i got my polaris last thanksgiving so i have to wait til about memorial day so my kids can test it out. I don’t ride them just fixem and let the kids play so me and my wife can see there smiles and get them outta the house! 514E9D9C-3D96-487C-9D6E-9DF7B20DB74B.jpeg 72E78D9B-86B0-407E-BB77-EE8E8F489041.jpeg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Nice!. That's awesome. I see what you mean about how deep it sits. And yea, I've ridden a few ski's that had reverse, you know you pull a lever to tilt the bucket enough back up just enough, but yea, I'm guessing not lol. I'll post some pics of mine of the progress and when it's officially cranked over. Whew. I can't wait.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So, another question. I'm following oil lines now. It seems the lines connected to the carbs are ok. I found two loose lines. The one from the MFD and one from the front left attached to the shell of the craft at an external breather port. Both are disconnected inside the engine bay. Trying to find them in the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know the gas tanks have 2 breathers( one lets air in through a 1 way valve usually and another lets air out to prevent tank collapsing) the oil tank also has a breather for same reason. The ski has a siphon hose in the rear with a screen that one has a high arch to prevent water coming back in and it eventually connects along the jet nozzle when your moving that hose creates a siphon effect. Alot of skis will also have a small hull breather hose thats on the aide of hull too. Since you got trim then you wouldn’t have reverse. Don’t forget to take a paddle. There are plastic ones that thread together to fit in storage bin. If it stalls on water you want some control.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yea, I see the gas breathers. I followed that ok. Yea, if the oil lines are simply oil breathing lines then they are disconnected. It looks like one is supposed to connect to the MFD. Guessing this is how you monitor oil temp. I'll see about connecting that to the tank somewhere.

I did find the larger bilge siphon lines in the back. I was wondering if those should have some type of screen on them. The hoses are pretty long. Do they simply sit in the hull and the pressure of the impeller and the craft moving activate pressure to empty the hull in the event of water buildup? I'm guessing there should also be some type of screen filter attachment at the ends of these hoses and that they should simply lay in the hull at the bottom.

I think other than that I'm almost there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I haven’t clean ours up but i don’t think the outside will look that nice. The tube leading to the display would probly be for speed and that tube should lead to a spot between the engine coupler and floatbearing under driveshaft on hull. Underneath by entrance on intake grate is usually a tiny rudder that picks up your speed using the tube. The fuel and oil tanks are monitored by wires which have tank floats which go to display also. Don’t quote me but i wouldn’t try to mislead you also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I hear ya. No worries. Display doesn't work anyways. Will have to look at getting one or converting it.

Great News!! Just cranked and it runs. Woo hoo!! Now I just have to adjust the steering, got a bind somewhere. Feels like the rear, but the manual says for '95's you adjust the steering up front. Hmm.

Almost there my man!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I shall officially christan you a jetski mechanic! I used to drive jetskis back in their 90’s heyday( mainly the kawi superjets, sx’s the standups) we would hit wakes and “sub” the ski. That is dive you and the ski completely underwater then shootout and get airborne. I’m too old for that now, but we kept kawasaki busy makig pistons and cylinders. As we would hit water then no water they would over rev and the lowend torque and load was alot for those machines. If you get some smooth water and your slx is running good then you can unleash all 90hp in that little 9 ft hull. Do the math, that’ll be a rocket. (Be safe).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I shall officially christan you a jetski mechanic! I used to drive jetskis back in their 90’s heyday( mainly the kawi superjets, sx’s the standups) we would hit wakes and “sub” the ski. That is dive you and the ski completely underwater then shootout and get airborne. I’m too old for that now, but we kept kawasaki busy makig pistons and cylinders. As we would hit water then no water they would over rev and the lowend torque and load was alot for those machines. If you get some smooth water and your slx is running good then you can unleash all 90hp in that little 9 ft hull. Do the math, that’ll be a rocket. (Be safe).
Thanks for all of your help my man! I can imagine that being loads of fun but we got this tub so that I can peacefully tow the misses behind me in a picnic raft with lunch, drinks and to go diving for seashells.

I most humbly accept the honorary title my friend of "jetski mechanic"!

When I get the steering nailed down, I'll post some pics when I break the champagne bottle on her maiden voyage!!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now i’m really jealous. It looked like palmtrees in the background of one of your pics. I’m glad i was not busy, so i could help. The seashell trip,with raft sounds like a blast. It’s still freezing up here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The first test ride and dip in the water was a success!!

I'm not too concerned about the performance, but it is a little sluggish / slow starting out. After you give it some throttle for a little bit it and pick up some speed it seems to even itself out and "scoot!".

I'm going to read up on the carbs to see how they are adjusted to see if that may be it.

Thoughts?

And yea, in Florida with the Palm Trees.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good to hear you made it back! Good accurate compression psi numbers for each cylinder is a start. Alot of people tend to go to carbs when there could be another issue. Having a good tester can be tricky, some leak and give you false/low readings. I prefer ones that don’t have coupler connections between hose and guage( in otherwords a place for it to leak) Check your plug colors also they can tell you each cylinders performance also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Good to hear you made it back! Good accurate compression psi numbers for each cylinder is a start. Alot of people tend to go to carbs when there could be another issue. Having a good tester can be tricky, some leak and give you false/low readings. I prefer ones that don’t have coupler connections between hose and guage( in otherwords a place for it to leak) Check your plug colors also they can tell you each cylinders performance also.
Got it. Will look into getting a Guage. When you say couplers I'm guessing you are referring to the one that quick connect like an air hose?

The plugs are new but I'll check them even though I only ran it for 30 minutes. I wanted to get a feel for it.

The steering ended up being a bent rod in the rear. Straightened it out and applied marine grease to it.

I had one of the guys at the dock say I should get classic tags for this thing LMFAO!! He hasn't seen one in years and he was glad to see an original that started it all off.

Btw, in reading approx 7V at the display now that I put a fuse in line with it. Does that sounds right? I can't find a reference in the manual for voltage across the pins.

Thanks brother.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, the coupler guages might work for others but not for me. Like air hose. Voltage would vary across pins as some pass through regulators. As far as voltage drops across pins i don’t have much on it either. I haven’t had mine on water or running long enough to even see if my lcd works,but the rest from jetdrive to gas tank specs out so i’m not concerned if it does. Plugs after a run will tell you if a cylinder is running too rich or lean comparing colors of each. Some of my old snowmobiles have fouled plugs quickly before. Checking spark on those used plugs will tell you that.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts