Personal Water Craft Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yea, I get that. I think I'm good there although I'll double check the breathers. The float reads ok. I can move the float up and down manually and the Guage reads the difference. The issue is when the sender is submerged in the fuel, the magnet in the float doesn't allow the float to float. It's too heavy. I put the float in the orange home depot bucket, as the bucket is where I emptied the fuel into, and the black plastic float without the magnet will slowly drift to the top. With the magnet, it dives down. I'm guessing bad float. I was wondering why there is a need for a hole above the float in the sender where a fuel line attaches to it. The manual is a tad vague at this point as to how and why, it just says where to attach the hoses. I tried a small piece of styrofoam underneath the float but it wasn't enough and I'm not sure if I want to use a larger piece. I guess I could use a larger piece or I'll have to get a fuel float kit but then I have to figure out how to install it as I'll have to make another hole in the tank. The challenge is going to be how to bolt it in as they are usually held in place with bolts and the holes are thereaded. Hmm, now that I think about it I could get a tap and die kit and thread the holes myself. Hmm. Man, this was almost easy. I just need the float to float lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i gotcha now, i would have to detach everything filler and etc. and shift my tank forward to get mine out to see how polaris ones work. Just be careful styrofoam and gasoline do not go together. It’ll melt the stuff. One of my early little skis doesn’t have anything fancy and i pop the seat and just use a flashlight to see level on that one. Your really getting all the bells and whistles workedout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Yep. It's my first time having one and I want to be comfortable on it as well as working on it. Thanks DAD!! It's something he instilled in me from my very first car I got from him when he gave me his 79 Pinto at 16 yrs old. I thank him to this day that I am able to work on my own vehicles to this day. I'm no professional mechanic, but you get the idea. Gotta pull out that "man card" lol. But yea, thanks for the reminder on styrofoam. I'll be googling what else I can use that has more density to it anyways. I picked up a compression kit from Harbour Freight the other day so I'll be checking that soon. Should I wait until I get the tank back in to test the cylinders? I would think so as it still engages the fuel pump, right? Granted you only need it to turn a few times to get a proper ready on each one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Curious thought. I wonder if I could just purchase some type of replacement float. After all, it's just a float that holds a magnet within it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
First off thanks for the inspiration, you might’ve gave me a nudge to get the little stuff taken care of. Since i haven’t taken the polaris floats out yet( hopefully never) it sounds like you have the right idea as far as replacing it. You are correct with compression test to wait until you have it together,at least thats when i do it. I get cold readings and also when it has gotten to after running and warmed up readings(thats 140 degrees when thermostat located on top of cylinders where it drains out activates) wait to cool down a bit because plugs would be screaming hot and get another warm reading which should be higher since metals (rings,etc.) have expanded. Wide open throttle to let as much air in if i remember.hook guage up to cylinder being tested with plugs in other cylinders and plug wires with another set of plugs in them touching the cylinder heads.you get 150psi in all three and you’ll be as good as new on topend.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Sounds good. Thanks a bunch and good luck tearing into your skis for summer.

Yea, I drilled into the float and it's saturated with fuel. It's like charcoal that's been soaked and ready for a good grillin.

I was thinking neoprene washers or rubber stops to help float it or simply find a neoprene cork and fit the magnet into it.

I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thats funny stuff! If you endup with more issues starting a comment thread under the polaris section might endup getting some guys really experinced in the old polaris 2strokes to chime in also. I’ll check every now and then.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I think I have a solution. Once it's done I'll post the pics of what I did. You'll get a kick out of this one.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts