Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 95 Seadoo SP, and the first runs were good. Now, after it warms up, I lose power, and then it does this "start-stop" thing when hitting the throttle. Never dies, starts right up, but there is this hesitation and then it gets on it for 2 seconds..no power for three or four sec...good power, etc..My last run had me maxing out at just past wake speed. I did pull the choke a bit and it seemed to help in the power / speed department.

I've replaced the plugs, and fuel filter and made sure the new battery was fully charged. I'm thinking I'm running too rich (too much oil) but so unsure. Its oil injected. Any ideas / hints / tips & tricks would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Pretty sure I do. They're gray lines...look original. Is that the main problem?
The gray Tempo lines are notorious for degrading on the inside and forming a green goo that can wreck havoc on the fuel system. My SeaDoo had them and would bog I replaced them and it runs like a champ now. I would start with this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok...replaced all fuel lines, and it ran well (out of the water). Got it unloaded, into the water, started right up, and then hit the throttle...NOTHING! Got worse as it went on. Wouldn't stay started. Even idle speed would bog.

So now its at a friends house. He's gonna see if its in the carburetor.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think you are headed in the right direction with the carb. Could have a float sticking and just flooding it out.

They always run better on the trailer. There is no load on it when running it that way. When you put it in the water is when you see the real deal.

P.S. you might as well check the reeds and reed cage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well its gotten to the point where its not even starting OUT of the water. He got to the carburetor, but couldn't get it off (they don't make that easy!). Looks like I'm bringing it back home for more tests and trials...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Compression Test Results: 160 on each.

Took off the smaller gray fuel line (missed one) going from carb to engine, and found a line of green crap! Sprayed battery cleaner into the nipple area and replaced the hose....it fired right up! So off to the lake I went! And guess what?? Yep....No power, only coasting speed!! When I tried opening it up, it just died. Looks like the carb needs to come off and the filters inside cleaned?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Your compression is perfect! That's great. Definatly clean the carb screens but I also have a feeling the carb could use a rebuild kit. But I would clean the screens and see what happens then.

I have a 95 XP with aftermarket flame arrestors and I was able to clean the carb screens with the carbs still attached to the intake manifold. On the top side where the fuel line feeds the carb there is the black cover held on with 4 screws. Remove those 4 screws and on the left side is a little black plug thingy, gently remove it with some needle nose pliers or your fingers if you can. Then spray them out with carb cleaner spray. Then gently clean out the hole it sits in with a tightly rolled Q-tip to get the remaining green scum out.

Here is a wealth of info on the subject:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?27314-DIY-Fuel-System-Cleaning

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First off, thanks to all who have posted and given great advice! Makes owning a PWC (almost) worth it! Ok, so I took off the carb (what a pain), got that filter, and it was loaded with crud and grime! Couldn't see anything through it. So I cleaned that, all else looked good and clean (no rebuild yet...I'm determined to find the cause!). Ready to put back together..and then.....I drop the nut that holds the carburetor INTO the intake...EPIC FAILURE!!! If my wife and kids weren't home I would have cried....tried tipping the machine all the way over onto its side..found out THAT makes for great fuel leakage! Tried a magnetic pickup, but it seems to be into the depths, and I don't have a flexible one. Tempted to light a match on it and walk away...and great ideas on getting that nut out? I'm sure leaving it there isn't an option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I could feel to the left (and there's no outlet area) and then to the right...and that's where it fell. Just wondering what damage it could do by leaving it in there. Is that even an option?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts