Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I'm a Newbie with a project ski and have some questions my esteemed fellow forum members.

Bought a 95 WaveRaider 700 and have about $750 in it total. Put it in the water today and it runs like a scalded rabbit!! My son and I (~425 pounds total) ran it to about 50 mph on smooth wide open water.

Only two issues so far. It has runaway twice on the hose flush. Bumped the throttle while it was warm and it went to WOT. Got really worried when I pulled the plug wires, pinched the fuel lines, and with my third hand was trying to cover the air intake - and its still screaming wide open. I saw references in previous posts where the NGK plugs or hot spots in the cylinders can cause the engine to diesel, leading to the runaway. This happened once on the original rusty dirty plugs and today on the brand new plugs.

Is it possible that there is carbon in the cylinders? Can these little motors be de-carboned? I've done it on my Jonhson outboard, would it be the same process?

The only other issue is that it is a little hard to start. Will start on the choke but chuggs enough that its hard to get up and running before it tips over. I know the new plugs are gapped at .030. I now see in the manual it calls for .024 to .028. Would overgapping cause this nuisance starting issue?

Maybe it just needs the cobwebs run out of it. Last tagged in 2004, and was started again just in the last few weeks.

Love this little ski but its definitely a 1 person or 2 little people ski. REALLY tippy for a guy my size.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You will need to clean the carbs, fuel system, and change the fuel if its old. Its leaning out causing the problem. There is no additives or whatever to fix it. Physically carbs off and clean them. The check valves in the fuel pump probably need replacing too. (little round plastic things). The carbs will be pretty crusty sitting around that long and the diaphrams etc in the carbs will need replacement. That should improve the starting issue too. They are hard little things to start normally anyway. The carbon has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool - Thanks!! Any online part dealers that you can recommend?

Also - Is there any danger in using it in the meantime? I wouldn't think that it would runaway under load, or is that a false assumption?

·
Registered
323 Posts
yeah, dont use it. Because it is running lean. possibly the check valves are blown which mean it can blow up. It will try to die upon acceleration in the water anyway. im in australia so im not sure of online dealers in the states. Maybe riva. There is a good guy over here online called jet sports QLD

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am rebuilding the carbs. Unfortunately, 'carb 2' has buggered phillips screw and at this point cannot be disassembled. (Taking to machine shop tomorrow to see if the can get it apart.)

Carb kit indicates it fits either a Mikuni BN38 or Mikuni BN44 (Square fuel pump).

I'd like to confirm that this ski uses the Mikuni BN44 so that I can better refine my search criteria for replacement carbs.

Thanks as always,

Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts