Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, new to this forum but have used lots of info found from other threads. Went to winterize my 96 gsx. It turned over a few times, then wouldn't crank. Checked battery, ok. Must be solonoid, jumped it, and same thing. starter engages but would not turn over motor. Pulled plugs, motor turns over just fine. Must be starter, had it rebuilt and re-installed, same thing. Pulled plugs and verified motor is not binding by spinning output shaft. What am I missing?
no one has any ideas?
Can I put a meter on the starter to check the output? Sound possible that the starter rebuild could have been bad?
What would you do next if it were your ski?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! I really thought this site would find some folks with knowledge around this issue. Are there sites that include people with more technical skills? I've got all winter to resolve this but right now I don't know what to do besides getting another starter. The odd thing is it has the same symptoms after the starter rebuild as before. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

I pulled the starter last night to do a bench test and found the end of the armature shaft was bent, out of round about 20 thou or so. I'm assuming this is why it's binding right as it engages. I never looked at it closely before. The seadoo had been dropped onto the hull about 6 inches when I was setting it on the floor off a double trailer but inspection had shown no problems. It appears maybe the hull gave enough to allow the starter to bend slightly. New starter is on the way and I'll respond back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts