Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 SeaDoo GTI with less than 100 hours (Orginial Owner). Been running great and all of a sudden when you throttle up you get a lot of rev but very little forward motion. If it had a tack, I would probably be red linning the engine. After a few minutes, it seems to catch and then hold on cause it will catch up and your off. But stop and try to go again, same thing. Does this unit have a clutch? To me, it seems like something is slipping in the drive shaft area. Ideas?? Thanks....

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can look here for exploded parts diagrams:
Xtreme Powersports' Sea Doo PWC Parts Finder
specifically, here: Xtreme Powersports' 1996 Sea Doo GTI Parts List
and here: Xtreme Powersports' 1996 Sea Doo GTI Parts List

The engine output shaft to the impeller is either working, or broken. I seriously doubt there is any inbetween state of the drive shaft.
If the driveshaft is turning (part #11) then it should be turning the impeller (part 1 on second drawing) If the impeller is turning, but not creating thrust, the most likely reason is because:
The impeller isn't getting water throught the intake grate (part 32)
The impeller itself is obstructed / tangled with debris
The impeller is physically damaged
The wear ring clearance is too large (part 8)
Other places to look - impeller housing, impeller shaft, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the note. My observation based on none of the other items being the problem (sight checked) is the wear ring clearance. Question is how does one shorten the clearance. I pulled the rubber sleave back and I can see it but I am not sure how you move it one way or the other to take up the slack. Is it a matter of pulling the entire driveshaft out? Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've resurfaced a wear ring (once) with a product similar to liquid metal or JB weld. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably just replace the wear ring with a new one.
The wear ring is just that, a consumable part that is sacraficed instead of your impeller.
The shop manual should have specs on wear ring / impeller clearances.
An easy way to check the wear ring it is to run your finger over the surface and feel for large pits, scrapes, cuts, etc. Where the impeller blade is closest to the wear ring is the clearance you're concerned with, as this is how the impeller creates thrust (more center of the ring).
You also should look at the leading and trailing edge of your impeller blades, If they're dented, dinged, cut, or dull edges it would seriously effect thrust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts