Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I scored a clean '96 GTI for free, with trailer and title for both. The previous owners had said the last time it was on the water it wouldn't go very fast, but didn't elaborate on what that meant exactly. Since it had been sitting, I assumed it was a carb/fuel problem. I cleaned the gas tank, replaced all the fuel lines, cleaned a lot of junk out of the fuel selector switch, and it runs great. It will start right up and idle out of the water. Took it to the lake, but it had extreme cavitation. Anything about 1/8th throttle would send it right to the rev limiter.

I finally got around to pulling the jet pump off today, and the wear ring is totally jacked. Huge pieces are missing. It doesn't look like debris damaged it, but rather it got brittle and fell apart.

Does the impeller look OK? I don't see much/any damage to it, but this is my first jet pump to pull. I haven't drained the oil yet, but I'm betting it has never been touched. Besides replacing all the bearings/seals in the pump, what else should I look at while it's off?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got the impeller off tonight. It came off pretty easy, no breaker bar or heat needed. The shaft looks pretty good, though there is a slip lip where the seal rides. How much lip is acceptable? I can ever so slightly feel it with my fingernail, however the pump oil showed no signs of water, so I don't think I need to replace my seal or shaft since there weren't any problems. The bearings all seem night and tight, and there was no axial play that I could feel.

Here are more pictures of the totally jacked wear ring. I really hope that was the only problem with this pump.

Someone on another forum said the impeller didn't look stock, but it does appear to the stock impeller; it says Seadoo and the number cast in it matches the number in the factory parts manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
The impeller looks pretty good. It will be easy to tell if the impeller is still good once you install the wear ring as you will be able to see any gaps between the impeller and wear ring. The other thing you should probably check since you have the pump out is the alignment of the engine. You can rent the tool from SBT for not that much or there are plenty of homemade tool plans available on the internet. Have fun with your toy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts