Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 96 gtx 787. Seemed like it would not turn over when I was looking at it and figured the starter was weak, as it had a new fully charged battery. Well, I bought it anyway and came home and started investigating what I got myself into. Starter engages, but seems like it is weak, and won't turn the motor over. Pulled the plugs and it turns over fine, but it threw a bunch of oil and water mix out the plug holes. I did a compression check and it seems high! So I decided to turn it over for a little longer without the plugs in it and get out the oil and water mix. That cleared up some, so now ...
my questions are:

1. If the gas was shut off, could I have gotten all this oil into the cylinders from the oil injection? He ran Premix in it for the last couple of years.
So, where in the heck did the water come from?

the owner said it ran the other day in his yard after he installed the new battery for 10 minutes with no issue.
Then when he went back to it to start it again, it would not turn over.

Before I start pulling this thing apart, I would very much appreciate any Pro help in diagnosing this problem.
Maybe when he cleaned in inside compartment to degrease it, he got water in the airbox or intake? Don't know if this may be where the water came from.

Also, should I try to start it with the drive in neutral instead? Seems like that would be easier on the starter?

Why the high compression? I mean 180psi + never heard of one that high....

Please help!

Thanks !

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hydro locked.....................

I just bought this 96 gtx 787. Seemed like it would not turn over when I was looking at it and figured the starter was weak, as it had a new fully charged battery. Well, I bought it anyway and came home and started investigating what I got myself into. Starter engages, but seems like it is weak, and won't turn the motor over. Pulled the plugs and it turns over fine, but it threw a bunch of oil and water mix out the plug holes. I did a compression check and it seems high! So I decided to turn it over for a little longer without the plugs in it and get out the oil and water mix. That cleared up some, so now ...
my questions are:

1. If the gas was shut off, could I have gotten all this oil into the cylinders from the oil injection? He ran Premix in it for the last couple of years.
So, where in the heck did the water come from?

the owner said it ran the other day in his yard after he installed the new battery for 10 minutes with no issue.
Then when he went back to it to start it again, it would not turn over.

Before I start pulling this thing apart, I would very much appreciate any Pro help in diagnosing this problem.
Maybe when he cleaned in inside compartment to degrease it, he got water in the airbox or intake? Don't know if this may be where the water came from.

Also, should I try to start it with the drive in neutral instead? Seems like that would be easier on the starter?

Why the high compression? I mean 180psi + never heard of one that high....

Please help!

Thanks !
Well first of all, I am by no means an expert. I do know my way around a jet ski though. Plus the advice is free.

First thing is I believe the previous owner hydrolocked the ski on the trailer before you bought it, by turning off the engine with the hose still on running into the crankcase. Common problem for novices. It's like someone sticking a running garden hose in your mouth and sayin drink. Next you go to start it and your tryin to compress water...not good, bends rods and other nasty things. So you go "ok, lets take the plugs out and see whats up". Next the battery and starter work because they can spin now. Meanwhile your pumping out hose water, gas and oil now that it is turning over. So, IMO you are BF. I would take it apart and make sure nothing got bent. If you can get your $$$$$$$$ money back, DO IT. Otherwise get out your wallet. I mean he stated that it ran and then he cleaned it and then it wouldn't turn over. That is because he more than likely flooded it on the trailer.

Next there is no neutral as far as the drive train is concerned. You are always pumping out water , there is a reverse basket comes down over the jet to deflect the water in other directions.

After it drys check the compression again. It will probably be lower.

Good luck with that..........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts