Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to remove the oil injection on a 96 Tigar Shark Montego 640 please?
Is it pretty straight foreward? Or is there anything I should know?

I got the block off kit, so I just wanted to see if theres anything else I need to do besides undo the 2 bolts and then bolt the block off plate on.

Do I need to disconnect the power to the pump?

Any help would be great, thanks. : )

Has anyone else done this? If so, did you use the oil reserve for another gas tank?

·
Registered
239 Posts
What do you mean by power to the pump? My 95 drives from the flywheel bolt. What about jetting. I would think you would have to adjust the fuel mixture to assure you are still getting enough fuel and oil. Also, you should put a cap over the tube on the intake that the oil goes through, follow the line from the injection pump to the intake.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean by power to the pump? My 95 drives from the flywheel bolt. What about jetting. I would think you would have to adjust the fuel mixture to assure you are still getting enough fuel and oil. Also, you should put a cap over the tube on the intake that the oil goes through, follow the line from the injection pump to the intake.
o yeah. Sorry, I didnt notice it was driven by the flywheel.

adjusting the fuel mixture - you mean, just makeing sure I have the right mixture, and adjusting the carb, right?

A cap on the tube? - ok, I'll look into that, I think the block-off kit I got came with 1 or 2 little black caps, that must be what those are for??

I can take the hole oil injection pump out/off the machine right? Makeing it lighter?

Do you have a tiger shark?

Thank you very much for the response. You've already helped. : ) I would not have thought about caping that tube. Water in the intake would prob not be so good. : )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the pump won't save you much weight. remember to tie up that loose cable that went to the pump. make sure it doesn't bind.
ok thanks.
Why would it matter if it binded? Its not going to be used anymore right? Does it effect something else if it does bind?

·
Registered
18 Posts
when I removed mine I pulled out the oil tank completely... I pinched off the two brass fittings on the intake where your oil lines fed in... It's a good idea to do that so you don't lose vacuum. I didn't install a block kit as I didn't see the need to... Just capped off the pump and let it be.. Not going to hurt anything... Now I pre mix 50:1 and she runs great. My cards are still set according to factory specs... Didn't have to adjust at all... Good luck... This is an easy and very Smart thing to do as the oil pumps go out often and will toast your engine quick.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when I removed mine I pulled out the oil tank completely... I pinched off the two brass fittings on the intake where your oil lines fed in... It's a good idea to do that so you don't lose vacuum. I didn't install a block kit as I didn't see the need to... Just capped off the pump and let it be.. Not going to hurt anything... Now I pre mix 50:1 and she runs great. My cards are still set according to factory specs... Didn't have to adjust at all... Good luck... This is an easy and very Smart thing to do as the oil pumps go out often and will toast your engine quick.
Thank you Tritan.

Do you still need the manuals?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is quite a few years old, but I'd like to ask a follow-up question to installing an oil block-off kit? I was recently given a 96 Tigershark Montego. I've been checking around inside the ski to make sure everything was intact with the motor, and noticed that someone had installed an oil block-off plate on mine. All of the hosing and caps appear to be in place properly, but I am concerned about seeing a black rubber fill plug on the top of the magneto case? Does anyone know if a marine gear lube or oil still get added to this location even after the pump has been removed. Im assuming that utilizing a pre-mixed fuel will lubricate the engine, but does not seem like it will lubricate the bottom end of the motor enough? I know that the jet pump oil gets changed on the back of these things, but am confused if this black plug was, or still needs to be utilized to add marine oil? This is the first late model jet ski I've owned, and know nothing about this model besides the fact that it was made by ArticCat till the late 90's. I guess it hasn't been started in a few years, so I've been going through it and replacing parts of the motor as a father son project before attempting to start it up! Any help would be great? Respectfully thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,good to ask what your dealing with instead of guessing. Nothing gets added,that’s the stator inside of there along with the bendix. Just keep it closed. It is seperated from the combustion chamber by crankshaft endseals. Too bad someone took oul injection out. They are good skis if maintained. My 1993 daytona is still running strong. Good hull for doing spinouts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I kind of figured as much. Most motors have a spot somewhere to be able to identify timing. I pretty much did a top end rebuild kit on it, plus new exhaust gaskets, carb rebuild kit, plugs, starter and new battey just to see if I can get it to turn over. No luck! The impeller shaft turns freely along with the crankshaft, but I think someone was monkeying around with the electrical box since there is a bunch of odd ball wires dangling out it ? I jumped the solenoid with a screw driver to see if I could get any life. All I heard was the solenoid spinning, but not engaging the motor to get it to turn over? Thing is a mess, but that's why its a project ski. I appreciate the advise and clarification. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you mean that you hear the starter spinning which is located below the exhaust elbow when you use screwdriver to jump selonoid?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. I had installed a new starter in it before attempting to turn it over. Then tried the old solenoid trick with the screw driver and all I heard was the starter spinning without engaging the bendix gear. Either the bendix gear is bad and gummed up, or the new starter isn't seated in there right? I did notice when I installed the new starter, the bolt holes lined up, but there was a little bit of the end of the starter protruding out more then the one I had removed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea, the afternarket starters i have used are a little different than the oem ones also. I’ve taken off exhaust expansion chamber/elbow to make sure the starters seated properly/fully during install. If you confirm that than your correct with o-ring near starter shaft fully in to seal it and bolts flat to housing than bendix is most likely sticking or failed.some models like mine have the rubber bladder like on the jetdrive below the starter,you’d want to make sure that’s good before you have it on water. Unfortunately if bendix does never unstick. My book says engine removal is nesessary cause there is simply no room to change out while in unit.some people post repair mauals online in forums for downloading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts