Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a 1996 Polaris SLX 780. I was given this jet ski to help repair for a friend. I'm no expert, but figured I'd give it a shot.

Here is what I completed repair/replace on:

Replace Rings and Pistons
All new gaskets
New plugs
Cleaned out fuel system (removed tank and cleaned out)
Did a complete Carb rebuild kit

The jet ski has under 100 hours on it, and my friend said it got water in it and was running prior to him breaking down. He bought all the parts listed above, but never got around to putting it all together. I bought the service manual and put it all together for him.

NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM........

The ski starts right up, however, when you go to give it gas, it sounds very "Sluggish". You can rev it and it just sounds like it's dieing. I did a compression check and compression is good. I check the plugs after firing and it seems to be running a little rich, but couldn't run it long enough out of the water to get a good feel.

ANY IDEAS? My buddy wants to take this on a family vacation next weekend and I don't know what to do. I have come this far, I want to get this thing running good!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the Carbs need to be majorly retuned since you have new pistons and rings you most likely have more compression now. Along with the new gaskets creating a better seal. Plus you rebuilt the carb instead of just cleaning it correct? Heres a great post on how to retune your carbs depending on your situation.

Carb tuning question - Forums

1 - 2 of 2 Posts