Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I just bought this ski from a friend and he told me it has been sitting for two years without being used or started, but it ran great the last time he used it!
So I get it to the house and try to get it going....Needed a new starter, replaced plugs, siphoned old gas out and put fresh gas in it...Then I tried to start it....NOOOO such luck....Just cranks! It has good spark at the plugs, and if I sprits a tiny bit of starting fluid into the air box it fires right up and runs for a second and sounds real healthy! but wont stay running, that being said I'm guessing it might be a fuel problem! So here are a few questions:
What kind and where is the fuel pump located is it mechanical or electric?
Can I remove the fuel line to the carbs and crank it like you would with a car to see if there is fuel flow? Can the inline filter be replaced with a similar automotive inline filter or is it a special filter? I'm a pretty good mechanic but know very little about 2 stroke engines so any suggestions you all might have on how to troubleshoot this problem would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
The fuel pump is on the side of the carburetor and it works with crankcase pressure to move diaphrams back and forth. You could replace the fuel filter/water separator but those works fine and are a good design. There are small filters inside the carbs that could be dirty but being that the fuel sat in there 2 years you definately need to pull both carbs off and clean them first. Get rebuild kits for each and do that also. Don't want to mess around. Other thing to try is to switch the fuel selector valve over and try the other setting. Sometimes those go bad inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I have it up and running now...Ended up replacing the old gray fuel lines, rebuilding carbs, and resetting the mixture screws that someone along the line had WAY out of adjustment!
Ski is running excellent now!
Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
xp seadoo fuel pump problem

My pulse fuel pump will not draw any gas. I had a problem with hesitation at higher RPMS, so I cleaned the main filter, and, since it didn't solve the problem, I cleaned the carb filters, rebuilt the carbs, and rebuilt the fuel pump (dismantled and rebuilt the pump several times), but the pump still will not pump. I replaced the check valves twice. I've got 5 pounds of pulse pressure. The diaphragm at the pulse input holds pressure. I'm out of options. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My pulse fuel pump will not draw any gas. I had a problem with hesitation at higher RPMS, so I cleaned the main filter, and, since it didn't solve the problem, I cleaned the carb filters, rebuilt the carbs, and rebuilt the fuel pump (dismantled and rebuilt the pump several times), but the pump still will not pump. I replaced the check valves twice. I've got 5 pounds of pulse pressure. The diaphragm at the pulse input holds pressure. I'm out of options. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Have you replaced the Stock Gray fuel lines yet? If not, try that...it might not be a problem with the carbs at all, might simply be clogged fuel lines that are collapsing while under pressure, also check that the fuel switch is not clogged, does it do it when you are on reserve also?

·
Registered
4 Posts
gray hoses

Thanks, but I replaced those already. I read the horror stories about those hoses. I think that was the original problem that clogged my filters. Winter is here, so I think my winter project is going to rebuild both carbs and fuel pump from ground up instead of in pieces. Anyone have a good step by step for the rebuilding of the 1996 Seadoo XP carbs and fuel pump rebuild so I can make sure I don't miss anything? I've pulled these things in and out so many times, I'm ready to use the jet ski for a fish reef.

·
Registered
4 Posts
seadoo xp fuel pump

Also, I did bypass the selector switch, and the problem stayed. I just don't feel any draw from the fuel lines when the pulse pump should be pulling fuel. I used a bulb to pump the gas to the carbs and I can get it to run until it runs out of gas or until I pump it again. Strange-- applying the choke doesn't seem to help. Even if the problem is the check valves, shouldn't the choke make it draw gas after I get it started-- even if the pump isn't working?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone have a good step by step for the rebuilding of the 1996 Seadoo XP carbs and fuel pump rebuild so I can make sure I don't miss anything? I've pulled these things in and out so many times, I'm ready to use the jet ski for a fish reef.
LOL...I know the feeling....As for a step by step, If you become a premium member here at PWCForum (Even if you join for just a month and then cancel the subscription), you can download the shop manuals for almost any year Seadoo, and it does a pretty good job of walkng you through the carb rebuild.
Good Luck,
0Gravity

·
Registered
4 Posts
seadoo fuel pump

Hi, OGravity,
Well, I found my problem, or I should say I'm ashamed I found my problem. After solving the original problem that was cause by the clogged carb fuel filters, I should have known I had done something wrong when a new problem appeared. The problem was, when I replaced the gray lines, I swapped the supply and return lines. I realized that today, and it runs fine, and I've got both carbs rebuilt including the fuel pump, which was rebuilt a couple of times. (my bad). Thanks for following up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts