Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum. I just traded a guy for a 96 Seadoo SPX. Its not in bad shape at all. The usual sittin in the sun fading and seat faded. He said it ran before parking it 2 years ago. I can turn the shaft by hand. And the prop looks in decent shape. What are some things I should do to it to prep it up before i put it on the water. I just got a new battery and theres about a quarter tank of old gas in there. I plan on cleanning out the old gas and replacing it with new gas. Also do you think the carbs will need rebuilt if it sat that long? Anything I need to be aware of before trying to start this thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the fuel bowl filter indide under the steering. There are 2 grease fittings under the gray coupler cover at the back of the motor on the PTO and the Driveline tube. Definitely remove the old fuel. I would put a couple shots of fogging oil in the spark plug holes before you try to turn the crank too. Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK so I did a compression check, And got 160psi in the rear and 151psi in the front. Is this good compression. And what about the deviance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
well they say 10-15 % differance between cylinders is acceptable. and 150+ is good compressions for those motors. i have a 95' spx. also check the oil in the impeller housing. you have to remove the venturi on the impeller pump. very easy like 4 bolts. just be sure not to snap any off...then its not so easy. investing in some pb blaster or sometype of penetrating oil might be a good idea. then you will see a nose cone on the housin. three bolts and a filler hole. remove the fillhole with an alen key and use a peice of papertowel or something and see if there is any water in it. the oil should be filled up to the botom of the threads on the fill hole. i just had to rebuild my housing because i didnt check that and it was bone dry. froze all the bearings..like 200$. or you can check it and if it needs oil its like 15$ and your local seadoo dealer and 5$ for locktite for the filler hole plug. also you might want to run some seafoam or marvles mystery oil in your gas to help clean out the carbs a bit if itll run. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts